LoadAll 2 where do we get powder charge data?

The Load-All shot shell loader for the 12, 16, & 20 gauge.
Deleted User 1445

LoadAll 2 where do we get powder charge data?

Post by Deleted User 1445 »

In the Lee instructions, they say to use this powder with this powder bushing. On the other side of the instruction sheet, Lee provides a grain value for each powder from each bushing. My question is: which is the Right Charge? The number of grains they say you get from the bushing, or the bushing itself? For me, the two values are not the same. The Recommended Bushing gives me lower values, by quite a bit, over the Grains-Equivalent. Thoughts?
r1200r
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: LoadAll 2 where do we get powder charge data?

Post by r1200r »

I believe it's either the "Lee Charge Tables" or go to powder manufacturer's website for the correct bushing to use with their powder. I see Hodgdon and Alliant both publish this data.
jdl447
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by jdl447 »

Go to your powder manufacturers website look up the recipe you want use,powder charge,wad primer,hull.
Do not substitute components. Only use the amount of grains of powder listed by the manufacturer. The charts will get you close but you may have to go up or down a bushing to get what you need.This is not uncommon
with shotgun powders.
Deleted User 1445

Shut The Front Door! I just looked at Alliant's load data. My loads for the five boxes of 25 shells that I've already loaded are WAY off! For my 12Ga, 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz shot, Win AA white hulls, Win 209 primers, Win AA Hulls, Alliant says to use 16 grains of Red Dot. My charges per Lee's recommendations are running like 12.5 grains. Will these shoot, or will wads get stuck in the barrel, etc? Lee's Load Data is way, way off! Do I need to tear these shells apart & reload them or are they ok to shoot?
Last edited by Deleted User 1445 on 08 May 2016 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

They should leave the muzzle just don't use them for anything important. I'd try one and see how it goes. If it's an autoloader you may not get good function, but then if you're not sure they get out of the tube that can be a good thing.

Take care

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

tkarl wrote:Shut The Front Door! I just looked at Alliant's load data. My loads for the five boxes of 25 shells that I've already loaded are WAY off! For my 12Ga, 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz shot, Win AA white hulls, Win 209 primers, Win AA Hulls, Alliant says to use 16 grains of Red Dot. My charges per Lee's recommendations are running like 12.5 grains. Will these shoot, or will wads get stuck in the barrel, etc? Lee's Load Data is way, way off! Do I need to tear these shells apart & reload them or are they ok to shoot?

Is this 12.5 gr load an actual number that Lee recommends or is this just the amount you are getting from the bushing shown in the tables. Also you didn't mention which wad you're using, that also makes some difference but not usually 3.5grs difference. You can "normally" expect a bushing to NOT drop the amount of powder that is shown in a bushing table. It's not at all unusual to go up or down a bushing or two to get the amount needed in a receipe. That's why you always need to scale what each bushing will throw with individual powders. Just in case you're new to shot shell reloading I will add, never change or substitute ANY components shown in a receipe. Use exact ones shown. As to whether or not the loads you have already done are good or not, you'll have to shoot a couple to find out, but according to my Lyman book (assuming you're using WAA12 wads) you're like 5gr lite on powder charge. At the cost of components (especially lead shot, you are shooting lead right?) I think I'd tear them down and re-start.
Deleted User 1445

Horseman wrote:
tkarl wrote:Shut The Front Door! I just looked at Alliant's load data. My loads for the five boxes of 25 shells that I've already loaded are WAY off! For my 12Ga, 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz shot, Win AA white hulls, Win 209 primers, Win AA Hulls, Alliant says to use 16 grains of Red Dot. My charges per Lee's recommendations are running like 12.5 grains. Will these shoot, or will wads get stuck in the barrel, etc? Lee's Load Data is way, way off! Do I need to tear these shells apart & reload them or are they ok to shoot?

Is this 12.5 gr load an actual number that Lee recommends or is this just the amount you are getting from the bushing shown in the tables. Also you didn't mention which wad you're using, that also makes some difference but not usually 3.5grs difference. You can "normally" expect a bushing to NOT drop the amount of powder that is shown in a bushing table. It's not at all unusual to go up or down a bushing or two to get the amount needed in a receipe. That's why you always need to scale what each bushing will throw with individual powders. Just in case you're new to shot shell reloading I will add, never change or substitute ANY components shown in a receipe. Use exact ones shown. As to whether or not the loads you have already done are good or not, you'll have to shoot a couple to find out, but according to my Lyman book (assuming you're using WAA12 wads) you're like 5gr lite on powder charge. At the cost of components (especially lead shot, you are shooting lead right?) I think I'd tear them down and re-start.
The 12.5 grains comes from their Bushing recommendation. Now it gets even weirder! I called Lee CS, and they are standing by their Bushing recommendations. The guy even said the recommended Bushing takes precedence over the number of grains they list as equivalent. He also claimed that my 12.5 grains was "normal", he indicated that powder density varies by +/- 15% from lot-to-lot. He thought they would shoot fine!? BTW: I'm using Winchester WAA12 white wads. I think the information I've gotten from Lee is sloppy (but safe) work. How can you NOT specify the number of grains to use??? I have the Lyman book -- I'll look there too.

Side issue: I was also loading some 20ga, and to get a different velocity shown on their table, I went up one bushing size. Guess what? The actual weight of the powder was the same or even slightly LESS! I'm perplexed. :?
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Deleted User 1445 wrote:In the Lee instructions, they say to use this powder with this powder bushing. On the other side of the instruction sheet, Lee provides a grain value for each powder from each bushing. My question is: which is the Right Charge? The number of grains they say you get from the bushing, or the bushing itself? For me, the two values are not the same. The Recommended Bushing gives me lower values, by quite a bit, over the Grains-Equivalent. Thoughts?
I realize that this is 6weeks old. Did you get a correct answer? The grain value for bushing chart should be very close to accurate. If you're getting low powder drops by scale weight then you have a problem probably related to static electricity or restriction. Is the powder reservoir at least 1/2 full? Does your 12ga. Lee chart list only 12.5. grains of Alliant RedDot? Alliant data lists 16+ grains of Alliant Red Dot for your 1 1/8 oz.load. Lee LoadAll2 data usually is to the light side but not by that great of difference. I am curious what you have determined if you have solved the dilemma.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

For some reason the user, tkarl, deleted his account.
Michael

Return to “Shotgun”