Auto-index not fully indexing

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
rdover
My Press Choice: Turret

Auto-index not fully indexing

Post by rdover »

I am using a Lee Classic 4 hole turret. I have a turret "disc" with 9mm dies and a disc with .40 dies. I had used the 9mm for about 3500 rounds, and the .40 for about 2500. I switched the .40 disk out, having just loaded about 500 rounds for the 9mm disk. I had never had any issues with the index, and was having no problem with the .40. When I put the 9mm in, it wasn't indexing fully, especially on the resize/decapping die. The others will index fairly well once it goes through the resize/decapper. I am having to hand turn the turret about 1/8" before the case will go in. I have taken the turret out and rotated it just 1/4 turn to try different areas. I've reseated it about four or five times, and it still will not index correctly, still have to hand turn it about 1/8". How can I resolve this? It is really impacting the speed I'm reloading. Thanks.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Auto-index not fully indexing

Post by farmerjim »

Put in a new square ratchet TF3567, and lubricate the turret frame junction. Get several spare square ratchets as they do go bad. My first at 1,000, and the second about 6,000 later.
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by buckeye43210 »

Here's a 3D printed version of the ratchet

I know they only cost around $0.50 each to order, but postage is expensive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You haven't said if you have done the alignment procedure yet it bears mentioning. Make sure that the primer arm rests solidly between the two bumps of the frame before making any indexing adjustments.
Classic_turret_alignment_instructions.jpg
You also didn't mention if you lube the turret or not. As farmerjim noted, the turret must be lubricated. I have used motor oil but now use petroleum jelly, I like the latter better.

I agree that you have loaded enough rounds for the square ratchet to fail, but I also have had the Auto Index Clamp (TF3566) that surrounds the ratchet fail. I try to keep both parts on hand. As a note and I don't know if anyone else has figured this out or not, Lee, via their online store, is not charging for parts, only shipping the parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
rdover

Post by rdover »

farmerjim, lubricate it where?
I've lubed it in some places. I've used WD40 Dry. I can use petroleum jelly, but where?
Ranchdog, thanks for the alignment instructions! The resizer / decapper is the one that really is out of alignment, have to hand turn on it. The expander / flow through sometimes catches. I'm using round nose, so once it gets to the seater / crimper, it's kind of guided on.
What was so puzzling to me is that it was working great on the 9mm before swapping to the .40, and then working fine on the .40 until swapping back to the 9mm. Then all of a sudden, it's out of whack. Could I have done something wrong?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

From my last post: "You also didn't mention if you lubed the turret or not. As farmerjim noted, the turret must be lubricated."
Michael
rdover

Post by rdover »

I asked farmerjim, lube it where? Where should I put the recommended petroleum jelly?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

rdover wrote:I asked farmerjim, lube it where? Where should I put the recommended petroleum jelly?
The mating surfaces of the turret ring to the turret. I find it easiest to apply the PJ to the interior circumference of the turret ring. Of course, you should also lube the ram and its linkages as well.

Have you looked at your "rachet" yet?
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Ranch Dog wrote:
rdover wrote:I asked farmerjim, lube it where? Where should I put the recommended petroleum jelly?
The mating surfaces of the turret ring to the turret. I find it easiest to apply the PJ to the interior circumference of the turret ring. Of course, you should also lube the ram and its linkages as well.

Have you looked at your "rachet" yet?
I tried the dry lube on mine first, and it helped, but did not work completely. I then used 3 in 1 oil, and it worked great. I never thought of PJ, but I will use it in the future.
As Ranch Dog stated the main source of friction is the the mating surfaces of the turret ring to the turret. Put the lube on all moving linkages as well.
I believe the lack of lube is what caused my first ratchet to fail so early.

Ranch Dog, Thanks for the PJ recommendation.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

just finished PJ ing my turrets and moving parts of the press. WOW what a difference. Another plus for Johnson & Johnson
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA

Return to “Turret”