Storing extra turrets

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
rman
My Press Choice: Turret

Storing extra turrets

Post by rman »

Right now I have Eight 4-hole turrets complete with dies and most have Pro Auto Disc measures.They sit haphazardly on a shelf in the reloading area. I need to figure out a cheap and neat way to store them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've seen the Inline Fabrication turret racks, but it gets a little pricey for 3 of them and a rail wall organizer.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Storing extra turrets

Post by farmerjim »

I take the Auto Disc/ drum off, so I store them in a plastic box stacked on a shelf. With the disc/drum off, they will also fit inside the bullet container from the lee sizing kit. You could make a shelf with holes the size of the turret with a solid shelf below the one with the holes in it. This would let you leave the powder measure on it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Red round boxes for me. They were made to store a complete turret.

Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

I use the inline racks, you don't need the wall rail organizer system if you buy the screw on version.

But there are other ideas out there (just a few pics I found on the net):
20130415_212653_zpsc99326eb.jpg
005-13.jpg
Or, what might be the best for storing including the measure:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ade/page13
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The good think about using the "round red box" is that any dust does not find their way to the dies.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

The opening of the dies is on the bottom, so I wouldn't mind too much about them. But dust on the powder measure is more what I think about. I'd also prefer a storage solution where the measures could stay on the turret. The LEE round red boxes don't fit the measure, just the dies.

As I already stated, my turrets are sitting on the InlineFab shelves. So they're totally open. I just throw a cloth over them to keep them protected.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
rman

Post by rman »

All good ideas! Now I just need to decide what will work best for me.

Thanks!
Tom
greg_r
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by greg_r »

I take a 1x6 and just drill holes about 1/2 the way through it that matches the holes in the turret. The wife sews me cloth bags that will fit over the turrets and attached powder measures.
rman

Post by rman »

Another good idea!
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jeff H »

I don't have a 4-hole turret and don't know the diameters on one, but I do have 3-hole turrets and a 3" hole saw makes just big enough hole to drop a turret into it without it falling through. If you look in the background, I have a 3/4" poplar "shelf" at a 30 degree angle full of 3" through holes for storing turrets. There is probably a hole saw close enough to fit the 4-hole turrets out there somewhere. If not, there are adjustable ones and this project alone would warrant the expenditure on one.

I used 3/4" material and drilled all the way through. That way, garbage doesn't collect and build up in the recess the turret sits in. I thought about this for a long, long time, trying to come up with a prefect solution and all along, it was a simple round hole in a board that worked out best. No need to shape lug recesses or use metal for the shelf, just make a hole in a board and it works perfectly.

It doesn't look nearly as "hillbilly" as it sounds either. I was impressed with how it looked when I finished the job and they are handy, handy, handy. No digging out a plastic bin full of ziplock bags with full turrets in each, jut reach over and grab the one I want. Shell Holder-holders re just another hole adjacent the appropriate turret.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Turret”