Upgrading

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Upgrading

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman wrote:Yeah, I am a bit. Radiation treatment has me a bit on edge lately. After 20 days straight thank God Monday is my last nuclear fallout regimen. However, I stand by the statement that the safety prime should not be a hinderance (as long as it working well) to the "speed" of the press. The early Dillon 450 with the manual powder and primer dispensers were very good to operate. And I'll bet between the 550 and 450 loading handgun rounds there wouldn't be that much difference in speed. If that is what a person is looking for. I really liked those features on THAT press so I don't believe it would be a problem on the Lee press for me. To others it may be a deal breaker for sure.
I really hate that you must undergo what you are experiencing, but I hope this effort keeps you in front of your press for years to come. My prayer list has been updated to include you. God bless you fellow and hang in there.

I do think this will be this new press will have good success as the price is great. Looking forward to seeing some videos of it operating so that some of the various questions can be addressed. I am curious as if they have figured out a way that the tool head actuates the Safety Prime as I believe it could. Also cartridge ejection, I'm looking at the drawings that Titan has and I can't see what it does with a completed cartridge or at least were it exits the shell plate. I do like the Pro-1000 style case feeder, better than that on the Load-Master.
Michael
greg_r
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by greg_r »

Thanks for all the replies!

I am still undecided. Like mentioned above, I really want to see the breech lock pro in action.

I do not see the breech lock pro killing off the LCT, I just don't see the breech lock pro being as versitle as the LCT, and the price difference between the value turret and breech lock pro is enough to sway the most frugal among us. The classic cast will be needed to load '06 length and magnum length, the value turret will be good for up to 30-30, 308 length, the '06 being a squeeze like the old style value turret. I doubt the breech lock pro will handle more than the 223.

I do think it will negatively effect the pro 1000.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Well, I'm a bit confused here; I have a turret press called a "Value" press. It is the old style cast aluminum base. But there seems to be another "Value" turret press, and like most of Lee products they are often misnamed in posts; it's a solid frame w/green paint. The Auto Breech Lock Pro is a progressive press in which the case moves under solidly mounted dies (and I don't see any need for a breech lock die system on a removable turret).

So what are youz guys talkin' 'bout?

BTW; I successfully and easily loaded my Garand ammo (30-06) of my old style Lee turret...
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

From what I have seen, Lee discontinued the older aluminum based Value Turret and have replaced it with the new Value Turret and then introduced a new progressive press called the Breech Lock Pro

Hope that helps.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Yep, but that doesn't help with what folks call various Lee presses! :lol:
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

I reload primarily with the value turret. It suits me, and I've customized it a bit and I'm cheap! The VT reloads everything I shoot except 8mm and my brother reloads these (don't shoot the Mauser much anyway). One of the reasons I reload is therapy. I can get away from all the B.S. on the news, the neighbors barking dogs, TV, chores I haven't finished, etc. Besides, I'm cheap.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Enjoyed reading this one. And I though I had gadgetitis :D .

I use the CTP for handgun only. I have taken to depriming/sizing on the single stage and prime them off the press. Even 9mm which I use in IPSC gets treated this way. Rifle are all on the single. I know I could go faster by using the turret but I guess I have little need for speed. I retired from a job (Environmental Response) 6 years ago that had me on call 24/7. Then it was "Follow me" now it's "Go on I'll catch up".
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Old Scribe wrote:I reload primarily with the value turret. It suits me, and I've customized it a bit and I'm cheap! The VT reloads everything I shoot except 8mm and my brother reloads these (don't shoot the Mauser much anyway). One of the reasons I reload is therapy. I can get away from all the B.S. on the news, the neighbors barking dogs, TV, chores I haven't finished, etc. Besides, I'm cheap.
+of
If the dogs are within 50', this small device will get them to shut up!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Ultras ... SwZB9aJhr1

I've got one just outside my side door, our main door, to teach my dogs to stop barking when I tell them it is okay. If its a delivery man or friend, I tell them it is okay as I flip it on. They bark again, and they get the sound from the box. They figured it out quickly that "Okay" is okay. It is made, however; to control a noisy dog across a fence.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Old Scribe wrote:.......... One of the reasons I reload is therapy. I can get away from all the B.S. on the news, the neighbors barking dogs, TV, chores I haven't finished, etc. Besides, I'm cheap.
Ain't that the truth! :D
Macd wrote:........ And I though I had gadgetitis :D .
I gotta admit that I'm always looking for newly released (or at least new to me) reloading gadgets. It's about the only reason I peruse different handloading sites. Innovations in reloading tools are really rare when they actually improve how we do what we do. In my reloading room is a box filled with stuff that proves the advertisement wasn't as good as a fellow reloaders reviews. :oops: You guys are the best resource any of us have when upgrading "gadgets".
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote: If the dogs are within 50', this small device will get them to shut up!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Ultras ... SwZB9aJhr1
I'm ordering this! Thanks for this heads up! A 88 year old neighbor has 5 of the nosiest dogs and she has no control over them. I hope this gadget will really shut them up.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Turret”