All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Upgrading

Post by daboone »

Horseman just sent you a PM. :?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

As an aside; I have found a "hidden advantage" for reloading. I'm a tool nut and I get to research and buy all different kinds of tools and gadgets and I can find reloading uses for my "non reloading" tools... :lol:
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by GRV01 »

See im having this same dilemma over which bemch,mounted press to upgrade to (from a hand press) -- turret or single

I feel that to 'justify' the turret one would have to do most steps on-press and that if one prefers to do some or many of the steps off-press then a single would be more beneficial

Thoughts?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:See im having this same dilemma over which bemch,mounted press to upgrade to (from a hand press) -- turret or single

I feel that to 'justify' the turret one would have to do most steps on-press and that if one prefers to do some or many of the steps off-press then a single would be more beneficial

Thoughts?
If you load multiple cartridges, the turret allows all the dies to be set up once and left alone. You get that with the Breech Lock bushings, but you are still changing out a lot of dies when working with different cartridges. With the Value or Classic Turret, you place all the dies for a cartridge on its own turret and leave them. You can also stop the indexing, the rotation, of the turret so that a single die remains indexed to complete a single stage type of operation. When you are ready to switch to the next die, you rotate the turret by hand. It is unclear whether the Auto Breech Pro will offer the ability to operate without rotation at this point. If it must turn, that would change the opinion I have as to whether it is a turret or progressive press? I hadn't thought about the rotation.

Back to the Value or Classic turrets. If you decided to try working with auto indexing down the road, the Value has a 2.313" cartridge overall length limitation, and the Classic is an inch longer at 3.313".

I went from the Lee Loader to the 3-hole Turret when it was first offered and never looked back. I did a lot of work with it as a single stage and eventually started auto indexing my handgun cartridges. Then I started doing the same with rifle cartridges that were within the length limits. About that time, I was starting to get some play in the head and changed it to the 4 hole. I wish I wrote a date on stuff that I bought. The press is still in use full time on my nephew's bench. I have no doubt this press has now loaded a quarter mill rounds.

I didn't add a single stage until I started sizing bullets.
Michael

Return to “Turret”