new lock ring bushing thingys from lee

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: new lock ring bushing thingys from lee

Post by horseman »

I've only ran a couple thousand cases through mine, 9mm and 45acp. Mostly just depriming although I did run probably around 2-300 nines with the swaging setup and have more to do. Those pictures are not to confidence inspiring. :( If/when you contact Lee make sure to give us an update...
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

I am going to contact Lee. I'm going to also explain my alignment troubles and include pictures. I'll let you know what happens.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:I am going to contact Lee. I'm going to also explain my alignment troubles and include pictures. I'll let you know what happens.
The alignment thing might factor into it.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have 2 of the original lockring/bushing made of steel. I bought them when that was all I could get locally and was going to use them with my hand press. Seeing the wear that aluminum to aluminum is getting don't think I'll use them in either press.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's the case sizing that is hard on it. What happened to mine is the bushing to press fit starts to loosen without warning and eventually there isn't enough engagement between the press threads and the bushing threads causing the die bushing to pop upwards off the last 1/4" of the threads.

One tip I have for resizing is to make a vertical line on the press near the tooling threads. Mark the bushing inline with the press' mark. Keep an eye out for misalignment that indicates the bushings is rotating loose. It's a surprise when it pops out.

De-capping and swaging puts little force on the press (although the swage set up does put more than de-capping). Resizing puts a lot of stress on it considering its small base, cast body, and short handle. Now I know what the handle isn't 8" longer like it should be. I'll take some more pics today and contact Lee over the weekend.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I sent these pics in an email to Lee to see if there are any updates.

Unlike Lyman, I bet Lee responds. :S

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I checked my APP, no wear yet. None on my Challenger Breech Lock either. I have no idea how many cases have passed through it, but it was doing everything that was done on the APP plus serving as the base for the Automator (Pro 1000).
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

How many cases have you sized on the APP? I've done 3000 +/-...plus that same number passed through the de-cap die AND again through the swage die.

Sizing combined with being able to work the mechanism much faster than a Challenger really adds up. Plus in my case the bushing to press fit loosened without me noticing. This is actually the main cause when coupled with the much higher resistance sizing. Even with 25 pounds needed for the swage die, resizing even small cases like 9X19 takes considerably more pressure. I have had no issues with the Phillips screw that keeps the bushing tight to the die, only the bushing staying tight in the press.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:How many cases have you sized on the APP?
I don't size any cases on the APP, that happens on the Classic Turret or Load-Master. I've swagged about 800 cases with the APP and decapped twice as many, but there should be no wear with the latter.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I think I just need another 3 of the old style bushings to have one on all of my various dies. I've been tickled to death with the original Lee breach lock bushings. I guess, while I'm at it, I better score another Lee Breach Lock Hand Press --- mine has at least 100k cycles on it (but still going strong).

Some things just last like they're supposed to :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Turret”