new lock ring bushing thingys from lee

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: new lock ring bushing thingys from lee

Post by Ranch Dog »

Not sure what I'm missing here. I have been using them since I obtained the APP. My screws bottom out, tight, with the screw head fitting a #0 Phillips driver. The only way my dies would come loose or out of adjustment is if I was bent on destroying them.

Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Perhaps I just happen to get the only klutsy one made. I used a screwdriver out of my gunsmith set.
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

well, I sure do like the looks of them.. i would love to have all my decappers red, sizer gold, and so forth... blue would be for bullet seating, they are just purty
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Look good but I would replace the screws with a torx or Allen screw. Phillip's are pure evil creations.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

AlaskanGuy wrote:well, I sure do like the looks of them.. i would love to have all my decappers red, sizer gold, and so forth... blue would be for bullet seating, they are just purty

Color code your dies.............good idea.

Macd, I agree with you. I have a set of old Forster die lock rings that are so old they not only won't fit in a co-ax press they have SLOTTED SCREW HEADS.. :o
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Guess I'll get the measuring sticks out and figure out what size they. I have always hoped that Phillips was good at something cause his screws suck swamp water and the same goes to the "genius" that came up with the hybrid.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Guess I'll get the measuring sticks out and figure out what size they. I have always hoped that Phillips was good at something cause his screws suck swamp water and the same goes to the "genius" that came up with the hybrid.

Make smoke,
I was starting to get stuff unpacked from the APP package and discovered something either interesting or curious. I ordered a 4 pack of the lock ring bushings when I ordered the press, the packing said they use a hex key, they have slot head screws. A package of 2 that I bought locally a while back have hex head screws and came supplied with the key. I'm going to go find some hex heads for the 4.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

If I received any thing from anyone with a slotted screw or a Phillips where spec said hex key I'd send them back or at least be on the phone quicker than you can say ...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Man, you guys sure are going off the deep end about a slotted screw! I'm also trying to figure out why they are a surprise in that if you look at the product, surely you did before you bought it, you would have seen that the screw is slotted. I've been busy with them all week, setup eight of them, and have nothing but love for the new product. If you are busting a screw head on these things, something is really the matter.

My only wish is that you could buy a single color pack, even if it was only two of them so that you could use the color coding to fit your individual needs.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I started it over not standard (slotted) head but Phillip's. A good straight or hollow ground driver as used in gunsmithing is fine for standard heads. I generally tighten scope mount screws down to 20 to 45 inch pounds that have standard heads. Phillip's head screws even when well made from quality steel and using a good screwdriver are a definite PITA. I think there are better alternatives. That is how this got started. Just an aside most wood and metal screws sold up here are Robertson (square head) but I haven't seen many machine screws with that head.

Return to “Turret”