Two Must Have Tools for Load-Master Setup

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Two Must Have Tools for Load-Master Setup

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman wrote:ONot sure I'd be into doing a couple thousand 9mm cases though. The large primer pocket uniformer by RCBS has a set screw so you can "adjust" the depth between pistol and rifle primer pockets if you want, or you can just buy one for each also (but they will still come with a set screw, kinda strange).
I hear you but I don't have a problem with the work. I went through a total of 600 loaded rounds from the three presses today and I have not had one flipped or goofy primer. Haven't had one miss. On press priming was a biggy for me. Reaming and uniforming a pocket takes exactly 1.5 seconds each and is done one time. The total, 3 seconds, is about what it takes to prime a pocket off the press. If you never pick up your brass, you are ahead or at least even not priming on the press. But, I pick up everything I shoot so that puts me ahead. Where I was with the Load-Masters is they were going to be immediately out the door of my reloading room if I couldn't accomplish this basic progressive task. I didn't want to go through the aftermarket hoops or add monitoring devices, it was going to work or it wasn't and this is probably why I waited so long to start this project after taking the bench off the wall. In fact, I kicked off this work of by telling them, "okay %@*&$, let's get you out of here!"

I've done a lot of shooting along with this, don't have any ammo left. Tomorrow's shooting will be with inventory loads and then I will load a year's worth for each pistol and move on the the 380 Auto, 9mm Makarov. and 7.62x39.

I am going to drop the bullet feeder on the 32 Auto. The feeder is fumbling a bullet enough that it is a pain. The .314" 75 grain bullet is pretty small as is the case. I haven't had a bullet miss a proper seating with the 9mm Luger or 45 Auto. Both are just chugging away.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've done a lot of shooting along with this, don't have any ammo left. Tomorrow's shooting will be with inventory loads and then I will load a year's worth for each pistol and move on the the 380 Auto, 9mm Makarov. and 7.62x39.
May I ask what the inventory runs are? How much of each do you shoot per year on average? I'm looking at set ups for 9mm and .45ACP trying to justify the cost. I don't think I can but I'm still intrigued. Same price from eBay as from Titan only eBay offers eBay bucks to spend later. +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

daboone wrote:Does the K&M uniformer and reamer come with 8/32nd threaded screw that will fit in your Lyman case prep center similar to the Lyman reamer and uniformer shown above?
I have used this to adapt them to other tools.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31484 ... er-adapter
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Those are pretty good numbers RD, glad you found something else that helps make the LM's work. Maybe you're right in that doing the work on primer pockets for all brass is just a good idea. I know if I do that I'll be looking harder for those spent casings that hit the ground :D . Since reading your first mention of this I have done a couple hundred 9 cases. Just need to keep them separate (not load them yet) from the brass that's already loaded until they've been fired and processed. Thanks a lot, more work.... :lol:
I spent the money and bought the priming parts from Mike's RB and had him rework the carriers as well and both presses have been stellar. MY OPINION, is that that little set screw for the priming pin adjustment is maybe the biggest help. Likewise I do not hang a bunch of "stuff" on my presses, lights, (I do not reload in the dark), mirrors, electric "shakers", alarms, bells, nor whistles, that's why God gave me eye's to see. I have been known to use a powder cop die though... :) but you have to look at those too. Anyway, good report, it's gonna make it just that much harder now for the Pro 2000 to make it's way onto the bench as a permanent fixture..

Needed to edit: Thanks Steve, will have to pick a couple of those up...two, because I know I'll misplace one of them for sure... :lol:
Steve

Post by Steve »

I agree that case prep is key to successful priming on the loadMastter. But I am too deep into my method, off the press priming that I will continue.

Many moons ago when I was sure I was going to prime on the press and was currently lucky to only have 10% failure ...One time I ran northing but new cases which I had done full primer pocket prep to all of them, they ran perfect.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:May I ask what the inventory runs are? How much of each do you shoot per year on average? I'm looking at set ups for 9mm and .45ACP trying to justify the cost. I don't think I can but I'm still intrigued. Same price from eBay as from Titan only eBay offers eBay bucks to spend later. +corn
Here is my plan based on my past shooting and what I forecast to do this year. My shooting group is no more, they all passed away or moved but I'm trying to get some other reloaders interested and that might increase the need. At the height of my shooting, I loaded about 2500 more rounds almost doubling this amount. Most of that was 9mm Luger.
loadmaster_qty.jpg
The Load-Masters will sit idle most of the year save the one day that they load a specific cartridge and then they will be done until the next year. The way I worked this or hoped to work it when the LMs weren't giving me fits was come in from deer hunting and get to work before I go back out that afternoon. Prior to the LM load days, the middle of the day was and will be spent prepping the required brass. There is more into the setup then pumping the ram if you throw in the required casting, sizing, and lubing into the mix; not much to the loading if the LM is up to speed.

I don't do diddly during hunting season, November & December, and everyone has learned not to expect much from me during this period so it is an ideal time to knock this out. So, I'm a bit behind now. I even was out doing controlled burns in my pasture last week as I was trying to finish up on the LM's and move into the incremental loads with this new mix of powders. Moved this ring of fire around my house (white home behind brush) to increase the size of the firebreaks so I can burn the front pasture this week all the time thinking about getting back to the LM's. That's why I need to get this loading done quickly in deer season.
burn_2017_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I received an email from MidwayUSA that featured both the Large & Small RCBS Crimp Removers on sale.

Mine have a shank on them so that they can be used with a power drill but it finally dawned on me that I added that shank. It is the Redding Power Tool Adapter #9110.
redding_power_adapter_9110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With the switching of dies at station 1 & 2, I eliminated the task for my ice cream spoon. Felt bad for that simple little spoon, but found a new use for it! It is perfect for setting up the spacing for the case feeder against the top outer radius of the press! As you tighten things down it, the case feeder assembly wants to rotate into the press but no more! Perfect spacing!
LM_special_tools_04.jpg
Michael

Return to “Progressive”