First impressions of the Pro1000

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
HankRearden
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: First impressions of the Pro1000

Post by HankRearden »

yep. Ordered a new turret a few minutes ago.
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

Horseman wrote:
HankRearden wrote:Thanks. I'll look into the power pistol. I'll have to see if I can find any load data for it in a rifle.

Data will be the same. 9mm is 9mm....
I find it interesting as to why the loads for both pistol and rifle would use the same powders for both applications.
Shouldn't powders used in pistol be fast burning vs slow burning for rifle? That has to do with barrel length and allowing the powder to burn over longer distance/time and high velocity with lower pressure. You can see in below tables that same powder/load you get higher velocity.

Here are load data tables from Lymans 48th. First is for 9mm Rifle.
9mm Rifle.JPG
And this is for 9mm Pistol.
9mm Pistol.JPG
I wonder if the use of same powders and loads for both applications is to prevent accidental usage of same looking cartridge in wrong pistol/rifle?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

After much review I find that most often the rifle data for pistol cartridges is either the same or as seen within the pistol data . The exception is when you look to the Ruger / Contender data .

I once had a companion pair of 357s , a 6" Security 6 and a Marlin 1894CB . Identical loads gave 400fps gains in the rifle over revolver and if it shot well in the revolver it shot better in the rifle . Just a note here it says rifle only for the Sierra 170 HC bullet with 14 yr of H110 ,take my word for it , that is sage advice . The middle knuckle still aches from the trigger guard .

Enter the 45 Colts . 200 fps gains with identical loads . Trouble is it's just enough to ruin the 100 yd performance in the carbines . Fortunately the rifles I have are marked as Magnum actions and are safe with the Colts Ruger level loads .

Do lots of research on your own ,while mine are safe I take no responsibility for yours being damaged by my net expert advice.

The gains stay about the same load for load but move the split from 900-1150 up to 1100-1375 . I'm working on a means to get to a load point that works in a 7.5 revolver and a 16-20" carbine under 1100 fps with a heavy weight that doesn't abuse the pistol shooter and shoots well in the carbine ......... Not going well .

90% of the gains seen in PCC is for the closed breach and increased bbl length . What delivers highest speeds in the ACP class carbines would probably make some really impressive fire balls in a 2-4" pistol , think of Unique or Blue Dot in a compact 9mm .

The thing about the rifle data is that sometimes it offers a heavier bullet or selections of powder that work very well in 12"+ bbls but aren't worth a tinkers dam in a pistol . Conversely rifle data may omit powders for the same reason . I can't think of an example off hand but a very slow powder in a compact or even a standard sized pistol might take that 147 in a 9mm down to 4-500 fps while it does 1200 from a 16" carbine because it takes 4" and 12,000 psi for it to come to life . Choose something very fast that gives 800fps in a 3" pistol and it might give only 600 from the 16" rifle because it's all burned and peaked out at 35,000 psi and 4" .
Of course the above is in extreme examples and not likely to be applied this way .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman wrote:Data will be the same. 9mm is 9mm....
HankRearden wrote:I wonder if the use of same powders and loads for both applications is to prevent accidental usage of same looking cartridge in wrong pistol/rifle?
Like Horseman responded, a 9mm is a 9mm. Notice that the charges don't change between pistol or rifle.
HankRearden wrote:I find it interesting as to why the loads for both pistol and rifle would use the same powders for both applications.

Shouldn't powders used in pistol be fast burning vs. slow burning for rifle? That has to do with barrel length and allowing the powder to burn over longer distance/time and high velocity with lower pressure. You can see in below tables that same powder/load you get higher velocity.
It all boils down to limited case capacity of a pistol cartridge vs. bullet weights that they use; you end up stuck with the same types of powders. What comes into play is efficiencies vs. velocity. Those two considerations, the short barrel lacks the definition to define them, one powder against another. Rifle barrels allow it. For grins, I ran all the USA available powders through QuickLoad; eliminating those that are less than 80% burning powder before it leaves a 20" barrel and also dropping those that are more than 15% less than the highest velocities. Here is the list, in order of preference:
  • Alliant POWER PISTOL
  • Accurate No.7
  • Vihtavuori 3N37
  • Alliant UNIQUE
  • Alliant BULLSEYE
  • Vihtavuori N350
  • Vihtavuori N340
  • Hodgdon Universal
  • Vihtavuori N330
  • Alliant HERCO
  • Accurate No.2
  • Accurate Solo 1250
  • Alliant GREEN DOT
  • Vihtavuori N320
  • Vihtavuori 3N38
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Nice Rd I have wondered about this before but ignored it. Now I have a list to work with. Now a powder hunting I need to go +guns .
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
timv

Post by timv »

I bought mine after doing research I looked at others of course people flamed it but 1 person sold me on it, Bought it to load 40 S&W, then bought a Sig 239 chambered in 357 sig so i bought a new turret and powder measure so I only have to switch turrets and I all set, planning on buying another one just for 9mm

I don't like priming on a press and use a hand primer, so that's not an issue I have to worry about
Joisey

Post by Joisey »

As an introduction to progressive reloading I bought a Lee Pro1000 in 1984 or 1985. The press linkage was 'sloppy' right out of the box, and truthfully I didn't expect the press to last 1000 rounds. At the same time I bought 5 other tool heads to cover all of my pistol needs and 223 Remington.

I am positive that I loaded 10,000 rounds on that press, and most likely a few thousand more. Always kept it lubed and clean. The only 'fix' that I performed on the press was to line the chute the loaded round slid down with teflon tape (adhesive back, like Scotch tape) because I had a little trouble with 9mm rounds jamming.

I should mention that was also my introduction to Lee carbide dies. I had a lot of RCBS steel dies, and used them on the press with great success until I ran into a batch of 45 acp brass that was TZZ brand. Evidently the brass was a bit thin and a sized case would let the bullet slip further in with just firm thumb pressure.

I called RCBS and told them the trouble. They said their die was fine and I had to order an undersize size die for $35, plus shipping. I could buy a set of Lee carbide dies for uner $25 back then and I did so from Midway. Well, the Lee dies had zero trouble with the TZZ cases, so I bought more when they went on sale at Midway.

In 1989 I bought my first Dillon 1050. The Lee Pro 1000 was cleaned and put in it's box on a shelf and stored there for the next 6 years. After the 10,000 plus rounds of use, the linkage was just as sloppy, but the ram was as tight as new. I never had to use any of the spare parts to fix the advance ratchet or anything.

One day of looking around I found the press and put it up for sale on Ebay for $60 more than I had paid for it new with the accessories.

I did keep the Lee carbide dies. They are still going strong and work great in my Dillon 1050

Return to “Progressive”