(Reloading is addicting) Addendum

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

(Reloading is addicting) Addendum

Post by horseman »

Finally got around to using the small primer feed on the new LM I purchased a while back. I noted earlier that I had no issues at all priming a bit over 100 45acp cases with the large system. None. I ran about the same amount of 9mm through the LM and ACTUALLY loaded rounds this time :D . Worked just as well, not one primer problem at all. My disclaimer for both is that this is a very small "sample" but it's still significant in of itself. Also I might add I didn't use any die in station two for a "guide" and used the 19S shell plate which some have reported problems with. I DID however, uniform all the primer pockets before hand, ala Ranch Dog recommendations and perhaps this was the reason for the "perfect priming". Maybe the presses that Lee is putting out now with the priming parts they have are just "that much" better than previous issues. I don't know for sure but I'm kinda betting on RD's idea. I know I'll continue to uniform all pockets before they go on the LM. Ranch Dog also recommends "beveling" the pockets but I found (using RCBS uniformer and crimp remover) that after running the cases over the uniformer, the crimp remover didn't even touch the case. Hmmmm........

One thing I noticed, with the small priming unit I purchased the primer "holder" seems very large inside dia. by that I mean looking at the small primers in the triangle part, they seem to be all "jumbled" around, sideways and such even though they are (up to now anyway) coming down the "chute" right side up. Any body else see this with theirs? Did I get a large primer tray by accident or are they both (L&S) the same size (inside height)? That's all to report at this time....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: (Reloading is addicting) Addendum

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to hear of your successful runs! I'm stI'll outside, but wold like to comment on the pocket tools and primer assemblies.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Concerning the crimp removing tool. I have two, a Lyman that came with my Prep Center and the RCBS. The Lyman places more of a bevel on the mouth that the RCBS and I questioned whether or not the RCBS was doing anything or not. Using the RCBS crimp remover first, instead of the uniformer, a small amount of brass accumulated on the prep center surface, but not as much as from the Lyman. Still, with a magnifying glass, I could see a slight bevel to the mouth of the primer pocket after uniforming with both RCBS tools.

There are three generations of primer assemblies, probably best to reference: Load-Master Primer Assembly Generations. On my small primer presses, one has a 2nd generation assembly and the other a 3rd. I'm not having problems with either but I sure did with the 1st generation assembly. Help me understand exactly where the primers are bunching up? What primer tray are you using, round or square/triangle?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:There are three generations of primer assemblies, probably best to reference: Load-Master Primer Assembly Generations. On my small primer presses, one has a 2nd generation assembly and the other a 3rd. I'm not having problems with either but I sure did with the 1st generation assembly. Help me understand exactly where the primers are bunching up? What primer tray are you using, round or square/triangle?
Okay, I reread it. Seems like you are talking about the tray.
horseman wrote:One thing I noticed, with the small priming unit I purchased the primer "holder" seems very large inside dia. by that I mean looking at the small primers in the triangle part, they seem to be all "jumbled" around, sideways and such even though they are (up to now anyway) coming down the "chute" right side up. Any body else see this with theirs?
They should all be flat on their back and stay that way as long as that is how they were at rest when the lid was folded over and locked. There is only one size of tray for both large and small primers. Seems to me they have the tray figured out where you really cannot get many more than 100 trapped in one half. The only problem I've had is locking the tray lid closed without the little slide tab being open for the flow. I have learned to watch that tab and check it over something that can catch the primers before I make the move to the assembly. Once I'm there, I'm good to open the flow of primers. Sure beats the old round one. Don't know many reloaders that haven't spilled a tray out trying to get it on the assembly! That will make you cuss!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have the round one...I just fill it then put the lid on. I install the feed tube after the lid is on. I install the completed assembly to the press last. Unless the lid is faulty I cannot see how to dump a tray of primers even with the old round one....but I'm sure to find out now that I said so.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have the round one...I just fill it then put the lid on. I install the feed tube after the lid is on. I install the completed assembly to the press last. Unless the lid is faulty I cannot see how to dump a tray of primers even with the old round one....but I'm sure to find out now that I said so.
The trouble was loading the filled round primer tray onto the Load-Master in that it didn't have a flow cutoff. It was further complicated that the tray mates with the primer assembly on the backside of the press in a spot with little access. The updated manual doesn't cover it, but the older manuals showed you how to use a sharpened pencil to block the port of the tray as you slid the round tray into place. With that don,e there was a small wire clip that secured the round tray to the assembly because it tended to flop off with the ram movement. The latter was complicated by the Primer Wedge Bar that is mounted on the press. That part serves to ensure the primer assembly is aligned as the carrier/shell plate mates with the turret/dies and it "shakes" the primer tray on the way up to ensure primer feed through the assembly.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have the round one...I just fill it then put the lid on. I install the feed tube after the lid is on. I install the completed assembly to the press last. Unless the lid is faulty I cannot see how to dump a tray of primers even with the old round one....but I'm sure to find out now that I said so.

IF, I understand you're question(?) to dump a full tray of primers into the round tray you hold the primer box OVER the bottom tray and sloooowwly pull the portion of the box that holds the primers out and slooowwly dump the primers in the tray....after you've done it you'll say "huh, that was easy".....if I misunderstood then disregard above... :D but that's the way you do it....the new triangle trays are a bit more challenging for me. The top part is always trying to "flop" over in the way.... :evil:

IF, you're talking about dumping primers with the "older" round version when trying to install said device onto the press, that's easy also, just don't use SOMETHING to hold the primers in the tray when installing. I guarantee you'll drop primers down the "chute" in a "glob" in all manner of alignment, plus a few that fall out that you'll never see again until you walk in that room barefoot... :lol:
Last edited by horseman on 16 Jul 2018 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

The mention I made as to the inside dimensions of the small primer tray, well, never mind. It was me, when I closed and "locked" the lid I had "allowed" a few primers to "disorient" themselves beforehand. Oh well. Sh.., er, ah, stuff happens. There seems to be enough "flex" in the lid that this can happen. Captain Obvious here. :D
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

So it's a LM-specific issue not an issue with the Safety Prime. I've never dumped primers into anything. I just cover the primer package with the tray and flip it over.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:So it's a LM-specific issue not an issue with the Safety Prime. I've never dumped primers into anything. I just cover the primer package with the tray and flip it over.
"Speak of the devil!"

I've actually had an issue with mine at the start and came up with an immediate fix, just forgot about it. I went ahead and posted the fix in case someone ever googles the issue for a fix: Safety Prime Trough Security
Michael

Return to “Progressive”