Reloading is addicting ~ horseman resists the Load-Master

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Reloading is addicting ~ horseman resists the Load-Maste

Post by horseman »

Decided to check the priming on this new LM. I've done nothing for the primer assembly other than grind the primer depth bolt head smooth. So, I disassembled the primer trough (when did Lee start putting a screw in that part?) operated the slider by hand so I could watch it present the primer to the priming pin to make sure it was smooth. Everything looked fine, no bumps or jumps. Put all back together and setup the press to prime. Took Ranch Dogs advice and ran all the brass through a primer pocket uniformer first. Loaded up the primer tray and case feeder and started running brass through. Only hitch was getting the depth set, took 4 cases to get 5thou. primer setback. Ran 50 cases through without a mishap. Not a big test but a positive step all the same. Now I have 50 pieces of shiny (wet tumbled) sized and primed 45acp brass....probably another 100 or so left. As I said I don't own a 45acp, oh what to do ? :roll:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Decided to check the priming on this new LM. I've done nothing for the primer assembly other than grind the primer depth bolt head smooth. So, I disassembled the primer trough (when did Lee start putting a screw in that part?) operated the slider by hand so I could watch it present the primer to the priming pin to make sure it was smooth.
The new generation primer assemblies where changed about three or four years ago. Check out this topic:
Load-Master Primer Assembly Generations
horseman wrote:Took Ranch Dogs advice and ran all the brass through a primer pocket uniformer first. Loaded up the primer tray and case feeder and started running brass through.
Don't forget to bevel the edge of the pocket with a crimp remover. It takes literally a second.

horseman wrote:Only hitch was getting the depth set, took 4 cases to get 5thou. primer setback.
I thought I had a picture of how I setup the Primer Rocker Arm against the 1/4-20 Screw, but will need to get one. I'm telling you a popsicle stick should be shipped with the Load-Master!

Note: I might have gotten the stick a bit "deep" setting up this picture. The stick should only be between the two flats of Screw head and Primer Rocker Arm.

With a case containing a spent primer in shell plate at Station #2 and the ram fully raised (no primers in Primer Assembly), I place a popsicle stick between the 1/4-20 Screw and the Primer Rocker Arm and remove all the slack between the two parts with the Screw and then tighten the Screw's Nut. I always bring the Screw to a stop with a point of the hex head sticking straight out away from the press. I have never needed to adjust the hex head more than one point tighter. I don't adjust between the points of the hex, leaving the hex point at a right angle away from the press. It is one of the things I look at as I approach the press and during operation.
horseman wrote:As I said I don't own a 45acp, oh what to do ? :roll:
This is the best part, gun buying! I love the 45 Auto but I'm not a fan of the 1911; the bulk and weight for concealed carry. Plenty of choice 1911 or not. My 45 Auto of choice is the Taurus 745 which is no longer in production. I wasn't happy with my Glock 36 and once, I shot the 745, I sold the Glock. When I heard that Taurus was going to discontinue the 745, I bought another NIB and it is stored in my safe should I even need it. I suspect that when I croke, it will sill be NIB in my safe. Bond Arms says that they are going to build a BullPup45 now that their 9 is up and running. That will get my attention.

Hey... will probably split our conversation off into a Load-Master XXXX topic, so others can find it down the road. Dogs are calling me right now.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 14 Sep 2018 06:43, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated primer setup image and added primer pocket conditioning tool images
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:It's the "newer" press frame with the "groove" along the ridge the "flipper" rides on, that was a good sign to me. Not some NOS from some warehouse.
:?:

My oldest press is a 1997 buy and it has the ridge that the flipper slides along. Was there a time this wasn't on the press? I think they were introduced in 1992 but would have to check Modern Reloading.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:My oldest press is a 1997 buy and it has the ridge that the flipper slides along. Was there a time this wasn't on the press? I think they were introduced in 1992 but would have to check Modern Reloading.

I just didn't describe it very well. The "original" LM press, while having the ridge the "flipper" rides on that pulls the index rod out from the frame while lowering the ram, was painted along that ridge. The one's I'm talking about now, and I have no idea when this change on the frame was made, has a "groove" cut into that same ridge and it is a silver color to look at. You can see it plainly and feel it with your fingernail. There have been changes to the frames as the years passed. No oil port, oil port, no oil port. No grease zerks, grease zerks, and I've heard from some that their new presses no longer came with grease zerks. So I can't keep up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Appreciate the reply. Mine are all the same; painted rib, oil port (which I don't use), & zerk fittings. I doubt I will be adding anymore of anything so I'm not really impacted by any change. I've always thought it funny how few used LMS you see for sale. I guess they are better received than some forums will lead you to believe.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Appreciate the reply. Mine are all the same; painted rib, oil port (which I don't use), & zerk fittings. I doubt I will be adding anymore of anything so I'm not really impacted by any change. I've always thought it funny how few used LMS you see for sale. I guess they are better received than some forums will lead you to believe.

You bring up a very interesting point RD and that is the lack of used LM's for sale ANYWHERE. If in fact the LM was as terrible in usage as one is lead to believe there should be hundreds of them for sale. Lee has probably sold more Loadmaster presses in the last couple years than Dillon in it's lifetime. I read in a post somewhere that Lee sold over 1800 in just one year alone, that number supposedly came from Lee Precision. I cannot verify it but have no reason to doubt it either. Go over to Amazon and read through the one star reviews. As you read them try to imagine how much reloading experience do you think the reviewer has. You read stuff like " the powder dropper doesn't drop powder right, I had several squid loads and almost blew up my gun", "the brass feeder would never work right, bullets were always coming out upside down and wouldn't go all the way into the brass holder and wouldn't line up with all the dies" , "all the thin, cheap metal pieces were always getting bent or broken" ( :shock: ) (what was that guy doing). "this thing won't index no matter what I try to do to fix it", "broke two of the primer rocker arms trying to get the primers to seat"....whaaaat.....goes on and on. But then "they bought a Dillon and have no more problems".....riiiiight... :lol:

Return to “Progressive”