Loadmaster Priming system issue

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
slash
My Press Choice: Progressive

Loadmaster Priming system issue

Post by slash »

Hi

I have an issue with the priming system 3rd gen plus, the lever is not pushing the primer till the center of the pushing pin and the primer get crushed on the edge of the primer pocket

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

the only way to solve this problem was to remove the o-ring under the arm, I tried everything, the o-ring is creating too much friction and the arm is not moving smoothly, unscrewing the screw didn't help at all, it's only the o-ring

that's how it's working without the o-ring

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Did anyone have that problem before? what's the purpose of that o-ring?

Thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Loadmaster Priming system issue

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what it is that the O-ring adds to the priming system, but I haven't had any issues related to it. I'm operating four L-M presses and concluded that the best fix for absolutely no priming problems is to condition the brass' primer pocket; uniform the pocket and bevel the mouth with a crimp remover. It is a one-time thing and worth the effort.
slash wrote:...the primer get crushed on the edge of the primer pocket
With the mouth beveled, I'm willing to bet the primer would have slid right into the pocket.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I don't have a clue as to what the O ring is supposed to be for. I haven't had that particular problem with the one I have but I do "slather" a bit of P jelly on that O ring. Make sure the primer "arm" doesn't come in contact with the case holder (chrome crescent shaped part) as it (arm) moves back and forth to present the next primer. As Ranch Dog mentioned, prepping the cases will eliminate 99% of priming problems. There are a couple other things to look at on the press one important one is the priming pin must be level with the primer trough as the primer is presented to the priming pin. Keep us informed as to how things are going, there's a lot of help here if needed.
slash

Post by slash »

the pin is level with the primer and I used a small washer to prevent the arm to not touch the case holder, I did a lot of research on this press and I'm used to modding this kind of things, conditioning the primer pocket didn't solve the problem, as you can see in the video, the primer stops a lot before the pin, I should enlarge the primer pocket as a large rifle one to let the primer fit, only removing the o-ring fully solved the problem
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My four L-Ms have the latest primer assemblies and none of them have an O-ring anywhere near the priming station. Is that a mod that you added?

As I noted, no trouble with any of mine.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

If removing that O ring solved the problem I guess you're good. However, I'd be wondering what caused the (looks like to me anyway) primer pin to move sideways a bit. Thoughts are bent spring, stuff built up in pin channel. Have you smoothed the head of the primer depth adjusting bolt and filed the "ridge" found on the edges of the priming rocker arm to smooth it? I have enlarged the hole in the priming trough for the pin on some of the older units, just make sure they're very smooth. Like RD the priming system on my LM is the latest edition and I've had no problems with it. I just looked and mine doesn't have any O ring there either. The ones I alluded to must have been on an earlier press. I've had several LM's in the past but the one I have now is is only a year or so old and I haven't done a lot of reloading on it, just a couple hundred 9mm's. I do however use the heck out of it as a decapping machine with a universal depriming die.
slash

Post by slash »

Ranch Dog wrote:My four L-Ms have the latest primer assemblies and none of them have an O-ring anywhere near the priming station. Is that a mod that you added?

As I noted, no trouble with any of mine.
horseman wrote:If removing that O ring solved the problem I guess you're good. However, I'd be wondering what caused the (looks like to me anyway) primer pin to move sideways a bit....
the o-ring should be present in all primer feeders 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 3rd gen+ ... I have the 3rd gen+ and I have the o-ring, to find it you have to remove the screw over the arrow and the o-ring in in this position I pointed
Immagine2233.png

the primer feeder doesn't need any modification, it's only the o-ring doing too much friction and preventing the arm to move smoothly

I asked Lee custom service:

That sounds pretty normal then. If you replace the o-ring but put a small drop of oil on the o-ring before you replace the sensor arm it may help.

Thanks,

Peter
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay. Yeah, you are right, there is an O-ring there and always has been. I thought it was something in the primers path from your description. I keep a touch of PJ on it, same as I do with all the moving parts. Thanks for noting your fix and Lees comments.

It is probably there to provide a bit of "friction" to movement so that the feeder claw does not move with small bumps felt through the press.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

AHA! Just took my L primer feed arm off and there it is....(I knew I'd seen that little bugger somewhere) put some grease (PJ) on it and the "arm" put it back together and it's very smooth. Think I'll check the small as well and "grease" it too. I'll go along with RD's idea of a bit of friction so the primer pick up is smooth and doesn't "jerk". So, Slash, how's things working now. Did you grease the O ring and retry or are you going to run without it. Did you find any movement in the priming pin as I mentioned? or was it my imagination.
slash

Post by slash »

I removed the O-ring and I have no problems now, finally a 100% smooth working press

Return to “Progressive”