Lee Dipper Powder Trickler

All black, red, and yellow Powder Measure Kits.
Salvo
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee Dipper Powder Trickler

Post by Salvo »

I wanted a powder trickler for some time, but while I waited for a good deal on one to show up, I just used a Lee powder dipper. - I would hold it horizontally and tap it with my finger as illustrated below:

click image to see it bigger

Then I found a nice powder trickler, and used it four or five times until I decided that I liked using the Lee dipper a lot better.

Maybe its one of those deals where the old dog has trouble learning a new trick. To me it seems like using the Lee dipper is quicker and easier, and every bit as accurate for the individually weighed charges that I prefer.

I find the dipper that comes up close, but not quite all the way to the charge that I want. I use a wine glass to hold the powder, making it easy to dip. After a dipper-full, then I trickle in the last bit to bring the beam on the scale up level. - Works for me!
Kind regards,
Salvo
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee Dipper Powder Trickler

Post by Poppop »

I do pretty much the same thing for my rifle loads. First the auto-drum to get real close the I use the dipper. The annoyance comes into play when too much goes on the scale from the dipper and I have to remove some powder. I am going to buy the RCBS trickler to replace the dipper process and see how that works. Only about $22.00
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been using the dipper trickler for many years. Why change it if it works!
Michael
Salvo

Post by Salvo »

Poppop wrote:I do pretty much the same thing for my rifle loads. First the auto-drum to get real close the I use the dipper. The annoyance comes into play when too much goes on the scale from the dipper and I have to remove some powder. I am going to buy the RCBS trickler to replace the dipper process and see how that works. Only about $22.00
I have a plastic coffee stirrer stick with a miniature spoon on one end, I use that if I go over. A small scoop made from a 22lr case would be good for that, too.
Kind regards,
Salvo
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Salvo wrote:
Poppop wrote:I do pretty much the same thing for my rifle loads. First the auto-drum to get real close the I use the dipper. The annoyance comes into play when too much goes on the scale from the dipper and I have to remove some powder. I am going to buy the RCBS trickler to replace the dipper process and see how that works. Only about $22.00
I have a plastic coffee stirrer stick with a miniature spoon on one end, I use that if I go over. A small scoop made from a 22lr case would be good for that, too.
I'm going to try the stirrer stick. I also think that a "gadget" would be fun to own and add to the bench
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I have a little manual trickler and I use dippers to get me into range first I then trickle to dial it in its all in the tick. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Yep I used a Lee dipper to trickle too but like Poppop keep dropping to much. So I bought the Redding trickler from Midway and love it and going over the charge happens way less now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/487186 ... r-trickler

This thing is heavy and awesome to use. Read the comments.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I must have gone high tech ......
Before I aquired a trickler I used a 270 or 7mm mag case for a trickler .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I'd say find a good, consistent method that works for you. There are a lot of things in reloading that don't really have a "correct", or "appropriate" modus operandi and powder trickling is one. I like the long rifle case idea; fill part way with powder, twist between yer fingers over the pan and dribble a few granules of powder at a time. I believe I started with the "tap the dipper" method like the OP (mainly because I started pre-web and was ignorant of a "powder trickler"). After a few years of reloading I figgered I'd get some more "sophisticated" equipment and buy an RCBS trickler. I've gotten used to that tool and now use it almost exclusively...
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I made a pretty neat, simple trickler from a piece of 44 mag brass (with spent primer in place) and a piece of .45 acp brass (primer removed) .... fill the .44 mag brass with powder and slip/fit the .45 acp brass over it and it makes a pretty good (small volume) trickler. BUT, I ended up going back to using the dipper and life is good.

I load everything with dippers directly to the electronic scale ... I find a dipper that's just "almost" the target load for the primary "dump", then pick up enough powder in the same dipper to be able to easily tap trickle up to the target. That ended up being faster for me than swapping tools in my trickling hand :lol:

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “"Dippers"”