Happy New Year!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Happy New Year!

Post by Ranch Dog »

A day late but I got involved with my reloading room early and ended up spending the entire day through the early evening in there, surfacing only for meals. Holiday happiness is taking a squared away reloading workshop and reducing it to rubble.

I have three projects in place. On the standing vise, you can see the buttstock for my Win M94 under a lamp. I'm filling a hole that I drilled 50 years ago to add a sling stud. I was 13, this was my dad's rifle, but he already trusted my gunsmithing work. How you fill that hole is slowly, with wood "sandings" from the stock and shellac. The shellac will seal hard and not accept any stain, but it will match an oil finish. Done slowly and done right, the hole will be just about undetectable.

I squared the slightly curved buttstock of this rifle for a Decelerator pad, trimming the stock back enough to maintain a proper length of pull with the pad. I used the trimmed piece to provide the walnut dust to fill the hole. I will hang onto that wood for future projects!

While the stock project was in its drying period, I worked on 7.62x39 incremental & evaluation loads for my Mini-30. After the case prep work was done, I moved to the turret press but eventually, once a load is established for my TLC313-150-RF and the Speer #2213, the loading will be moved to Load-Master #4. Earlier this year I purchased the press from a forum member, and I wanted to take it completely down to clean all the components, and they put it back together as I have done with my other three. No mods, just follow Lee's instructions. Its back and is running slick to include primer feeding. I did install a generation 3 primer feed tray and a couple of parts where missing that were borrowed from press #3 for the test run. Those parts plus an explosion shield and rifle case feeder were ordered through Titan last night.

One thing that I found and might have lead to some frustration for the previous owner was a slightly bent Feed Rod. I didn't notice it during assembly, but I could tell that it was binding on the case feeder and bringing the press to a solid halt. Changing it out, brought the press immediately up to speed. That rod is on the Titan order as well. Only can notice the bend when the rod is placed on a flat surface.

Not shown are two Bench Plates that where added. One right next to my turret press on the left and another on the right end of the Load-Master bench, around the corner. The latter will be used to store press #4. When needed, it will be rotated to one of the front bench plates. The plate for next to the turret is to avoid the side step to the Challenger press on the left. I had a plate mounted on a bench in my garage but haven't done anything out there in years now. When I last loaded my 35-30, after sizing I was using the Lee Universal Flaring Die to open the case mouth. That's when I remember the plate in the garage, in this position it would save the fancy footwork. I did order proper expander balls, for my needs, for that cartridge but it will be needed sooner than later for another purpose.

I hope everyone has a Happy & Prosperous New Year!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Happy New Year!

Post by daboone »

Idle hands are the....... Well that's certainly not your problem. :lol:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Happy new year to you all +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Happy New Year !

It's certainly easier to find a bug when you know where to look for it or at least what it looks like .
There's a funny story about a brand new SBC and an oil pump drive rod distributor extension .......... Maybe another time .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”