Reloading is addicting ~ horseman resists the Load-Master

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Reloading is addicting ~ horseman resists the Load-Maste

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Macd wrote:........ I don't ever have a stock of ammo on hand. It seems the tinkering never ends ........
Yep, I never saw the point of stocking up a surplus. I too enjoy every step from case prep to seating the bullets. Now days almost every batch I load is a slight tweak from the previous just to see how it affect the target. It's a LOT more fun than loading several small batches of 10 to do load development. Keeping notes is key to this method. Besides I have at least 2 jugs of appropriate powders and several weights of bullets for each of the several guns I load for. Why not experiment? Most of my reloads now days are sent down range by my kids, but they sure are full of feedback, comments and ..... ;)

Just talkin about this makes me feel ready to go back to Phoenix and my bench. I guess I'm recovered for the last medical disasters. :D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I'm packing up .............
I packed 2 50 cal ammo cans full no spaces with 22,24,25,27,28,30&35/38 cal jacketed . I boxed up a crate 12×12×78 full of on hand cast , dies , gas checks and filled spaces with earplugs . There's some 60 moulds , and I've sold or given away over a dozen in the last 18 months . Sold off 4-5 die sets . I "found" 2 cases of 12 , 16 & 20ga steel shot . While I don't have 5 gallon buckets of old brass I do have 3 20mm cans of misc brass ........ 30 cal cans full of who knows what probably a dozen ........

No it's not an addiction or a hording thing ..........
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

The Load Master I (accidently :? ) bought showed up a couple days ago. That was a lot sooner than I expected but it's always fun to get a new item. Original box (sorta beat up though, no biggie) everything was there that's supposed to be. Of course I had to immediately go about setting it up, took my time checking all the parts (still in packaging). It's the "newer" press frame with the "groove" along the ridge the "flipper" rides on, that was a good sign to me. Not some NOS from some warehouse. The press wouldn't index at first but was just not properly adjusted, the "flipper" was to tight against the frame and was to far out on the index rod, that was about a 3 minute fix. Press was very stiff to operate (also a good sign to me) but with a little more lube and several cycles it smoothed out very nicely. A little judicious work with a fine file on the end of the index rod tapering the offside edge a bit and breaking the sharp edges on both sides really smoothed it out. I read about doing that somewhere a long time ago and have done that on every LM I've had since. It works. Set up the case feeder and adjusted that, had to screw the large black bolt out from the press two turns to get that working right, another 5 minutes. Ran some 45acp cases (no 45 acp but I do have brass, go figure that one) ran several through with zip issues. Did not prime them but did have all the dies in and setup. The primer system will be my next objective. All in all everything looks and is working very well. Actually fellas I purchased this to use "mostly" as a decapping machine for 9mm, they are a beast for doing that, assuming a person is smart enough to figure out how to adjust the case feeder, I'm sometimes amazed at the number of people who can't do that. I will have to pick up a couple more things for it (here we go :lol: ) for my "uses" but I knew that going in. I don't really know why but the Lee Loadmaster press just intrigues me and I really enjoy putzin' with them. Wzzzz bump, wzzzzz ker chunk, wzzzz bump, wzzzz ker chunk. That's the way it sounds to me.....
pretty cool, +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Horseman what's up with your post count should be over a thousand by now not 43. :?: While I'm at it just how many LMs do you have by now. Do you get them just cause your bored or does the Mrs want you to keep outta her hair? :lol:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

daboone wrote:Horseman what's up with your post count should be over a thousand by now not 43. :?: While I'm at it just how many LMs do you have by now. Do you get them just cause your bored or does the Mrs want you to keep outta her hair? :lol:

Actually the low post count is due to the fact I "disassembled" myself from you rogues a while back and had to start over. Larry threatened me so I had to come back. (not really, well sorta :lol: ) I have but one LM press, now I'm not going to tell you how many I HAVE had (more than RD) but it's a pretty good number ;) .
As for staying out of "whats her name's" hair, at times we can be sitting in the same room and may as well be in different states.... :lol: Honest truth here, we've been married 19 years and have never had an argument, in fact she's never raised her voice to me. (yes she can speak :) ) Not saying she ain't never been mad at me, she has, but never an argument. Easiest woman to be around I've ever met, that's why I asked her to marry me. I was 52, never thought I'd do that again after No. 1 went down the road. (still have visible scars from that one, possibly deserved :lol: ) I was single for a lot of years and liked it just fine but Cat's just a "different" species. Not positive but I think she may be an alien from a different planet... :shock:

Me, bored ? I'm kinda like Ranch Dog, there's so much to do around here I couldn't catch up If there were two of me and lived to be a 100. Field mowing all day yesterday, and in the last two weeks I took down the round pen that was in the arena ( 15 12 ft panels plus 21 others I had stored in there plus two gates, heavy buggers) and got the arena back in shape (spraying, raking, dragging and leveling) so I can get to work "tuning up" (that will be a couple hours every day for at least a month) that new Buckskin I got a couple months ago, (HE DOES NOT LIKE A ROUND PEN :shock: tried that hence the arena work ), Tightened up all the wire on my upper pasture fence and ran new hot wire, (about 6 acres with 4 gates, you have to wire around those underground). I have about 600ft of new fence to build with three gates, (that's a lot of holes in the ground Pard) been removing some stumps for another pasture area, (then I'll have to fence that too) working on a used 26ft 5th wheel camper I bought, (don't know when I'll ever have time to use THAT, may end up just being a "bunk house". AND, sometimes a fella just has to go to town once in awhile just because. Ya' know.... AND, there's more to do tomorrow to add to what I don't/didn't get done today. I think you're getting the picture. Think I'm ready for a condo on a golf course.... :)
Last edited by horseman on 21 May 2018 15:03, edited 2 times in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:I don't really know why but the Lee Loadmaster press just intrigues me and I really enjoy putzin' with them. Wzzzz bump, wzzzzz ker chunk, wzzzz bump, wzzzz ker chunk. That's the way it sounds to me.....
pretty cool, +guns
Same here! I think it is an absolutely awesome press. I've made some simple notes that all four of my presses have been set up using, I need to put them in a topic. Just small simple stuff that I life by.
horseman wrote:Actually fellas I purchased this to use "mostly" as a decapping machine for 9mm...
A stand-alone turret with a Universal Decapping Die is a small investment when it comes to pistol decapping. The turret moves to any of my presses and decaps 25 through 45 Auto.
horseman wrote:assuming a person is smart enough to figure out how to adjust the case feeder, I'm sometimes amazed at the number of people who can't do that.
I use a stand-alone case feeder with each different cartridge I load on the Load-Master except the 25, 32, and 380 Autos share one because of the similar case lengths. Here is my foolproof method of setup. Don't laugh at the popsicle sticks. It worked so well those five sticks are now laminated together!

This is an example of how my setup instructions would read. Simple.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 14 Sep 2018 06:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected "bullet" feeder to "case"
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Think I'm ready for a condo on a golf course.... :)
I don't believe that for a minute! You're having the time of your life, just too tired to know it. I say this from experience! A good nap once in awhile or a trip to the city, and I can't wait to get back to what I have!
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog, I don't use a bullet feeder, at least not the Lee. Tried the Hornady but it didn't work that well. I like your "popsicle" stick engineering. Ingenuity at it's best.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Ranch Dog, I don't use a bullet feeder, at least not the Lee.
Corrected above, image is for adjusting case feeder. I do use the Lee bullet feeders with the Multi-Tube Adaptors, no problems.
Michael
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

Addicting.....

and therapeutic...
bayou
NRA Life Member

Return to “Progressive”