Over thinking reloading?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Over thinking reloading?

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm new too relative to most. I have a diagnostic/repair mindset so I just get dirty trying.

See comments elsewhere about trusting the internet, buying books, having experienced friends.

One cannot fix what I work on with a Chilton and code reader that doesn't perform any diagnostic control.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Sometimes too much information is as bad as, or even worse than not enough information...
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

mikld wrote:Sometimes too much information is as bad as, or even worse than not enough information...
Ditto that! It seems to many want to start by loading perfect handloads. That kind of reloading comes from experience. Starting out simply doing the basics and learning from there. My notes of all the various powder and components combinations used for each gun is the VERY BEST information..... After studying several loading manuals. No tools make perfect ammo till you learn how to use them.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

When I started out, I apprenticed under a friend of mine for awhile. He showed me the basics and then I did them, "oh, that 5 gallon bucket of 45 acp needs resized?? Ok" He would give me a task and watch me do it, sometimes explaining different things to watch for, things that can go wrong. "OK those are done. Now what? Bell the cases and decap them?? OK" I haven't seen too many sets of dies that the decapping pin is on the expanding plug. I do remember that you had to lube at least half of the cases. So thankful for carbide reloading dies. He did all of the powder charging as all he had at the time was a small assortment of dippers. I remember buying him a Lee powder scale for some occasion. I bet he still has it, if he is still alive.
Didn't have the interwebs back then but there was the gun shops that you could go to and I quickly learned who to talk to and which ones to stay away from.

Of recent, I have been going backwards on some projects. Finding and using old equipment like this old Herters press that I found all froze up. Also found an old Herters powder scale. No magnetic dampening, that was some fun waiting for it to finally stop moving to get a reading. Found out what that little attachment is for on the pointer end of the scale. It is amazing what you can learn when you read the instructions. Or, as some call it, the Lee Whack A Mole reloading setup. Now I want to go do that. Maybe tomorrow I will have to go pound out a box or two of 38s, you can never have enough 38s.

Return to “Topic Bucket”