4 AM

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

4 AM

Post by Steve »

That's right it is 4 AM. I woke up thought it was later because I felt rested, made it to the kitchen and discovered the shocking news.

I am going to get stuff ready to go to the range after I have an early breakfast and a nap. I am going to take the45 Colt, the Henry Small Game Carbine in 22LR, and the Savage mod 110 in 243. And some pistols, a 380 and a 40 S&W.

Should be enough to keep me occupied if too much shooting the breeze doesn't interfere.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 4 AM

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you pain of an early wake up. I'm like you, I'm fortunate enough to take an nap later if needed. I do start demanding an earlier wake up from myself through October. I will be waking up two hours before daybreak for the next two months. Love hunting season!

Have fun at the range.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

0400 is my normal wake up time of course I'm usually sleeping by 2100. Today I did sleep in till 0500. Also today I'm leaving Phoenix for Sugar Land. I expect I'll be there for at least 3 weeks. The only hunting I be doing will be with my grandson with their BB guns along the banks of a Mussel Creek for who knows what kind of monsters and a grasshoppers or 2. ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Anything much before daylight, and I mean like 30 minutes before tops, is to early. This time of year around here that's between 6:30 and 7 am. Only hunting going on right now is for Elk, and I ain't goin' this year :( , nursin' a bad case of bronchitis. Man, I envy a lot of you fella's with your long seasons and bag limits. In our area it's ONE buck deer (has to be a three point or better, that's a six point to you guys that don't count em' right :lol: ) and the same for Elk. Seasons are generally about 9 days for deer, a bit longer for elk. Bout' a hundred bucks for a license and the two tags. I'm getting to the point where I don't think I'll even bother anymore. Well, here it is 8:30 am and the horses are fed, dogs are fed, morning abolutions are done and I'm on my second cup of coffee typing on the computer...think I'll go stand on the porch for awhile (it's 45degrees and lightly raining) with another cup of coffee look out across the valley and THINK about what I (should) be doing today. :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

I rolled back in home hungry at 1:30 pm. Most of what I got accomplished was shooting the Henry 45 with the SeeAll open sight.

Jim is loading the target rounds for the 45 colt hotter for me. We increased them up to 6.2 gr Tight Group, 250 gr cast bullet, with this load at 80 yards most of the time I was able to hit clay birds lying on the ground. Just a few tenths more of powder seemed to be the happy spot for this rifle.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm usually up by 4:50. Sometimes it's not until late...like 5:30. I sleep the longest Sunday night into Monday.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by 9x80Drilling »

I ordered a SeeAll Thursday late in the day. It arrived Saturday! I shot the .45 Colt 92 a bit today, not at the range. but out in the National Forest just to get familiar with it. It seems quirky; I imagine a little more familiarity with it and I'll like it just fine.
I also shot the 92 with its aperture sight, and with the QD scout scope setup. Plain good fun.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think it took the first 50 shots or so to start getting used to the SeeAll sight, by a hundred I had it.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

I was at the range on Friday (SR1911) and again on Sunday (Security Six).

Both days were a charm.

Can't wait for next weekend...
bayou
NRA Life Member
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

Well, from my last post, the "next weekend" has come and gone. And it was another nice time at the range this weekend, too. I shot the snot out of the SR1911. I'm still not that accurate of a shot, but I'm working on it. I exclusively shoot my own reloads, and the pistol seems to really be humming without hiccups. I'm feeling real good about it.

I also helped a friend sight in his brand new 10/22 target model. That didn't take but about 10 shots, and that baby really is a tack driver. Highly accurate little shooter. At 25 and 50 yards, it was one hole touching the next on the paper. Quite impressive.

And while helping my friend sight in his 10/22, a young guy walked up and said he just bought his first 30-06, a Savage, and asked if I'd help him sight it in. He said he was there alone, and he really didn't know enough to sight in his new rifle. Of course, I jumped at the chance to help out this new shooter, and got right down to business. After a few shots, his Savage was hitting within 1" at 100 yards. The young gentleman, Andrew, was so thrilled, he reminded me a kid on Christmas morning. It was as if he wasn't expecting that type of accuracy.

Well, I turned the rifle over to him, and the joy continued, as he hit the bull, too, on his first shot. He was ecstatic, as I had the impression that he had no idea what he was going to do to zero in his new rifle. I was seated next to him to watch his excitement. He chambered another round, and took the shot. At that point, his scope completely popped off his rifle and I caught it before it hit the ground. Turns out his mounts weren't a good fit. The poor guy was completely deflated - like his new toy broke into pieces. I felt really bad for him, but assured him that when he gets his new mounts, we'll put it back into the red again for him.

So, having the unexpected privilege of helping a new shooter really enhanced this week's range trip! A great time was had by all, and I can't wait for this weekend to come.

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member

Return to “Topic Bucket”