New Shooting Range

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New Shooting Range

Post by horseman »

A couple years ago(got to thinking about it and it was closer to 5 years ago) I was talking to one of the county commissioners here, he told me at that time that he had been able to appropriate money for a shooting range (we don't have one within at least 50 miles and I'm not sure even that close) The following couple months saw work being done in that area, a large berm being built, a road and some other earth work. Then...nothing, dormant. Driving by the area a week or so ago and saw A LOT of work going on there. Big equipment, nice NEW road going in (from a different direction). It would appear that it's actually being built. Was talking to my best friend (he's the fire commissioner for that area) and lives just a few miles from the site, and he tells me that it's going to be a NRA qualified range (whatever the h3!! that means) and out to 500 yards. (or meters, don't know). We've never had a range like this any where around here (remember I live in rural Klickitat County, Washington where the deer downtown have to know traffic signals. (We have TWO, both flashing reds) This range is about 30 miles from where I live, just a short run down the highway. Haven't heard when it will be ready to open, (it's gonna be a while for sure ) or what the costs will be, but pretty big news around here. The shooting range that we used to have was on a private ranch and a pretty basic setup, unmanned, and went out to 300 yards. He had to close that down about 10 years ago due to liability issues and insurance cost. Pretty excited about this new one. Well, sorta.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: New Shooting Range

Post by akuser47 »

If it's NRA certified for shooting competitions or training. You'll have some R.O.'s, and I hope they elect some good ones. A bad R.O. can ruin a good shooting day and the whole reputation of the range. Sounds cool keep us posted to what it ends up good or bad. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sounds nice and 500 meters/yards sounds like an opportunity for silhouette practice/competition. I'd sure like to see a range like that somewhere in Ohio.

AK is right about RO's the state range I shoot at most of the time has a really great bunch.

Enjoy the holidays and
Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have no idea how to behave at a range nor have any economical choice to find or use one.

Good luck. Hope it works out.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have no idea how to behave at a range nor have any economical choice to find or use one.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

Yep, you and me are from the same village GG.......never been ta' one.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

We have a range not far from town. The clay bird shooter's have part, a nice corse and clubhouse. There is also a set up for the cowboy action shooters, pistol range and range for rifles.
The rifle and pistol ranges are pretty basic, covered with a few permanent benches. The various clubs keep it cleaned up and maintained - all volunteer work. It's how small communities work.
:t +guns
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Hugh that sounds fantastic! I understand the "sort of". In Phoenix we have one of the top ranked ranges in the nation, Ben Avery. I rarely go there as here in AZland there are many BLM areas open to the recreational public. I prefer being the "range officer". On the other hand it is nice to have Ben Avery's state of the art facilities available for sighting in a new rifle. I've also met several like minded milsurp collectors there at matches.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

The best thing about a range with a qualified R.O. is that they in general don't let idiots continue to shoot and ask them to leave. The downside is the over bearing under informed R.O. that wants to go through your ammo to see if it meets specifications to club policies. I like haveing chamber flags,I like strong muzzle control inforcment. All these thing can be great with a good R.O., but if I want to shoot my dragons breath 12 gauge rounds at an ant hill on the berm then I become the bad guy lol. I like freedom on my own property let's me be me. I also like a well ran range as well. Tomato, Tamoto, lol Happy Thanksgiving +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Yep, too many rules or an excitable RO ca ruin a dy.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

The mom and pop range I use includes generational brass prospectors.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Topic Bucket”