New Single stage press

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New Single stage press

Post by horseman »

I just ordered a new Forster Co-Ax press from.....hmmmm, forgot. Ahhh, yeh, bought it from an E-bay site $285.00 free shipping. Been reading about these for along time and all the "sliced bread" reviews (which I am skeptical about) so figured I'd try one out. I think I'll blame this "snap" purchase on daBoone cause' I know he has one and I need to direct the "buyer's remorse" somewhere :lol: . I've watched several videos of it in use and it does appear to be a nice unit. I do not think I'll be removing my Lee Classic Cast from the bench though. Truthfully, I want to "test" the difference in the two on reloading rounds and see for myself it all the hype is real or just owners bias BS.... 8-) Either way I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy using it. I'm one of those "reloading equipment junkies" and I think it's just time for a fix...... :D
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: New Single stage press

Post by akuser47 »

I've seen them used by shooting competitors at long range competitions. They aren't cheap, but sometimes quality isn't keep us posted. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

While I love my older Bonanza CO-AX I honestly do not believe it will load more accurately than a Lee Classic Cast press. Certainly the Breech Lock system is as fast for die change out.

On the other hand these videos explains why I do appreciate it's design. I also use Rex Roach's mounting as seen in the second video and the side board he added is very convenient. I do disagree a little with Mr Roach about his lock ring choice. Lee and Hornady lock rings work as well as the Forester. The lee rings may not be as tight but the "float" just fine.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

I do use the CO-AX press priming method for all my semi auto rifles. I hope your press came with the little adjustment thing-a-bot for setting the primer adjustment.

Hugh don't hesitate to give me a call if you have any questions.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Well thank you for that offer Dan. We haven't spoken for some time have we? Or Larry either for that matter. I also want to thank you for making me feel oh so much better about spending 300 bucks for a press that doesn't load any "better" ammo than the one I already own. :twisted: .....LOL, just kidding of course (rackafrac) I wanted one anyway.... :? Think I'll waste some more money on a neck turner, some Forster Comp dies (already have a concentricity tool, case prep center) couple more Lee collet dies, not sure what else. (gimme some ideas there fellas) just to make the "best" ammunition I can to shoot in my cheap AR, old Parker Hale 06', Marlin 308 lever, Remington 700 7 mag. None of these will probably shoot a one inch group at a hundred with me at the wheel, but what the heck, should be quite interesting. +guns ...Of course I could come back later and tell you all how the Co-Ax and my new (not yet acquired) equipment now has me shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 (or more) like a lot of the other keyboard sharpshooters do. ;) But alas, that's not me. Gotta go, horses to feed.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

The Co-Ax showed up about a week ago. The Bozo's I purchased it from shipped it to me in the original box with no further packing involved, just threw a little tape on the ends. Needless to say it had "bounced" around in the box (UPS) and when I opened it I found the little plastic primer cup was shattered and a bit of paint marring on the "neck" of the press. Not a big deal by any means but annoying none the less. Dan, the thing-a-ma-bob for setting the priming was in the little package of "parts". After my initial "annoyance" I noticed that this press looked a bit different from the ones I had seen in the videos and pictures of other's presses. The finish is more a "matte" finish with more a "crinkled" look to it. Not as bright and shiny. It's very well done and looks good, just different. After a bit of checking I find that Forster is now on Model B4. Didn't know that (thought the new ones were the B3) from what I read from Forster there are just a couple changes to the B4. The finish is one change, a larger diameter depriming tube, and a bigger set screw for the handle. Think that's about it, there was nothing earth shattering.

I've used it a bit just resizing some cases and checking the function of the press and I'll say I really like it. It just screams "quality" to me. I wasn't sure about how I would like the ergonomics of the press, but I was surprised to find it to actually be more convenient than a "standard" type single stage. (No banging my knees with the handle) I have no idea whether or not if (it/I) can produce "better" ammo with it or not, that would just be a plus in my opinion. It's that nice of a press to operate. Haven't found anything I don't like about it, but haven't really done much with it yet. Nothing I can really add to what's already out there about the Co-Ax, so I'll throw my hat in the ring with all the other "good reviews" about this press. I'll admit three hundred bucks is a bit on money to spend on a SS reloading press, but back in my drinking days that wouldn't have got me through a Saturday night, so all things being relative, IMO it's money well spent.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Horseman wrote:The Co-Ax showed up about a week ago. ..... when I opened it I found the little plastic primer cup was shattered and a bit of paint marring on the "neck" of the press.
My old Bonanza CO-AX press's primer catcher cup died long ago. It now sports a White Label Lube Carnauba Lube tube as a jury rigged replacement. That replacement has been working just fine for several years.

I too like the ergonomics of this press and how easy it is to size large bottlenecked brass. I also think it has about the most precise primer seating I've ever seen. It does takes a little time to set it up for each change of caliber. It is also not as fast because you slide in each primer one at a time into the cup. But I've never seen a high primer with it.

I remounted mine like the guy did it the video with the additional side board. That IMO eased that use and speed and convenience of operation.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I just watched the two videos from daboone's post. I have threatened to get a Co-Ax for a while now but my Lee turret has done everything I wanted it to do and fairly quickly too. Well, I am now convinced. After Christmas I gonna get one. Every question I had was well answered and I'm not a "hurry up" reloader so single priming is fine with me. I like the "quick change" die system not for speed, but for ease of die changes (I've gotten lazy over the years). I'll just retire my turret press to the "much loved, much used " tub o' presses (along with a C-H and a light Pacific, an older Lee "C" press, and my Lee Hand Loader) and get a bunch of lock rings...

Return to “Topic Bucket”