.22 TARGET PISTOL

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

.22 TARGET PISTOL

Post by Poppop »

Hi Guys
I am joining a new range/club and will be shooting .22lr Bullseye at 25yds
I am looking to buy a new .22lr pistol. My SR22 won't do.
I am down to S&W Victory and Ruger 22/45. I will add new trigger and red dot.
Does anyone have actual experience with either or both of these guns
Thanks
+of +guns :? :?:
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: .22 TARGET PISTOL

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Both are reliable per most reviews. It may come down to which feels better in you hand and the ease of mounting your red dot.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have a 22/45 I've spent as much on as the original purchase price. It's pretty awesome really in my opinion.

I installed a complete Volqartsen kit with adjustable trigger designed for a MKII (along with a MKII hammer bushing to eliminate the mag safety), Wolff springs, polished the bolt and mainspring housing top bulb, and installed custom hand made grips.

Trigger pull is one pound 12 ounces on my gauge.

These came drilled and tapped and a rail section was included from Ruger. I tried a fiber optic front sight but it was too narrow to fit the rear notch (easy to acquire but not as accurate as factory front). I also had a cheap but accurate red dot on it for a while but I like to easily holster it.

That's five shots from 25 yds rested.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I'm sure not up to date on target 22 pistols and what's considered "competitive". The only "good" 22 pistol I've owned was a 1940's era Colt Match Target that was my Fathers. I do remember during "dog days" in hunting camps we would "compete" with each other shooting bottle caps out of bushes around 25yds. (some of that depended on how many of the bottles were consumed to get said targets :roll: ) The Colt was always more accurate than the Single sixes, ruger auto's, and such. The only other 22 Auto Loader I've owned that was as accurate as the Colt was a slab sided Browning Buckmark I bought in the mid 90's. That thing shot right where you aimed...every time. These two examples may not even be considered an accurate pistol for this type venue though. But for a "normal" shooter I would recommend the Buckmark. Nice gun.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Ruger gets my vote lots of upgrade options.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Here's my mark 3 with bushing installed mag safety gone. Diy trigger work she is a nice shooter. If you like 1911 style grip guns it will serve you well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

akuser47 wrote:Here's my mark 3 with bushing installed mag safety gone. Diy trigger work she is a nice shooter. If you like 1911 style grip guns it will serve you well.
I'm a chrome man myself. They look so great but a little above what I want to spend. I know if I buy A blued one, I'll wish I bought chrome.
Great looking gun +guns +guns
MAGA
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have a 22/45 I've spent as much on as the original purchase price. It's pretty awesome really in my opinion.

I installed a complete Volqartsen kit with adjustable trigger designed for a MKII (along with a MKII hammer bushing to eliminate the mag safety), Wolff springs, polished the bolt and mainspring housing top bulb, and installed custom hand made grips.

Trigger pull is one pound 12 ounces on my gauge.

These came drilled and tapped and a rail section was included from Ruger. I tried a fiber optic front sight but it was too narrow to fit the rear notch (easy to acquire but not as accurate as factory front). I also had a cheap but accurate red dot on it for a while but I like to easily holster it.

That's five shots from 25 yds rested.
This is very close to what I want it to look like. I also am looking at the grip switch if needed.
The reason I m looking at the S&W is ease of cleaning which I want my 12 yr old grandson to learn. The Rugers may be to much for him.
+guns +guns
MAGA
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

I have a 1987 MK II Govt target gun. Love it. Also have a full Volquartson accuracy kit on it. Made a lot of difference, along with a diff rear sight leaf (but no matter - you are going with a red dot!).

For ammo, might look at the Federal 325 count white box Target ammo. It is going for about $.06/ea and I am getting very good accuracy with it.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Couple of thoughts; S&W has a new 22 pistol called the Victor. All the reports I've read are positive. I have an older Ruger Mk III that is way more accurate than I can shoot, 6" heavy barrel. All I did was buy a bunch of different brands of ammo and see which my gun liked best (from a rest, I can get 1" groups with CCI Green Tag ammo @ 50' ). Browning also has their Buckmark that comes in several different configurations including a Target Model...

Return to “Topic Bucket”