New Press on the way

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New Press on the way

Post by horseman »

Been looking at the RCBS Pro 2000 since they first came out a few years back (had a couple of the older Ammo Master autos at that time) but could never just pull the trigger on one (to expensive). When RCBS introduced the new Pro Chucker series presses I figured that the older model 2000 may get to be more in line with what I was willing to pay for one. NOT...with the problems with the new Chucker's priming (I'm assuming) the price on the Pro 2000 presses (If you can find one) has escalated in price to more than the new Pro Chucker 5..(Ive seen them as high as 800 bucks) :shock: but mostly in the 650 to 700 range, still :shock: While perusing the internet this morning found one at Kittery (something or other) advertised for sale at $499.99 with free shipping. If any of you have looked for discontinued items on line you can sometimes find items like this for sale at a nice price (Midway does this) but when you get to the site, it shows "discontinued", "out of stock" or something to that effect :x . well these guys showed having one in stock at that price, so in a moment of weakness I did the "add to cart thing", followed through the 12 steps :lol: and lo and behold, transaction completed...RCBS still has their rebates going on (I checked) so looking at about four and a quarter... :D I still have a bunch of shell plates from my old Ammo Master days so I'm covered there but will need to pickup some die plates. When it gets here an I have it set up I'll run it through it's paces and if I like it then I'm gonna have to move at least one of my LM's, maybe both, not sure yet, I still have my old Dillon 450 that I'll probably never part with. But I am thinkin' about maybe sending that in for "updating", the old manual powder measure is getting a bit worn and is starting to cause a few "issues". Any way, new press on the way.... +guns or +zzz depending on your perspective.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: New Press on the way

Post by akuser47 »

I say whatever gets u loaded to shoot is gtg +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Horseman you and I are going in different directions. I downsized from 5 bench mounted presses to 2 because my new place doesn't have the room for 5 benches. :( I realized I don't need dedicated depriming/sizing presses nor a extra SS for odd jobs. It has taken some mental adjustments to make this work... :? It turned out the mental part was easier to accommodate that creating space where none exist. :shock:

I'm sure you will enjoy both of your new presses. Look like you will be able to dedicate some of your presses to a single caliber. ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

No space is no excuse... I too got space for only one press mounted. So I bought an InlineFabrication press riser with quick change top plates. I recently own 3 presses (pro1000, classic turret and single stage reloader) that are mounted on quick change top plates. I never want to go back to depriming on the progressive press. Dirt is the most dangerous enemy in progressive reloader, and spent primers are a major source of grit. My classic turret is virtually a depriming press, since I don't yet own the rifle in .223Rem that I got it set up for.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

daboone wrote:Horseman you and I are going in different directions. I downsized from 5 bench mounted presses to 2 because my new place doesn't have the room for 5 benches. :( I realized I don't need dedicated depriming/sizing presses nor a extra SS for odd jobs. It has taken some mental adjustments to make this work... :? It turned out the mental part was easier to accommodate that creating space where none exist. :shock:

I'm sure you will enjoy both of your new presses. Look like you will be able to dedicate some of your presses to a single caliber. ;)

Well truth in fact Dan, I'm really trying to "downsize" my reloading presses (and area in general). I know from the last couple posts it don't seem that way, I'm just coming at it from a different direction :D . I believe I may be able to get down to just the Pro 2000 (if it's as good as I think it is) and the Forster and Lee Classic Cast SS presses. I really like the Lee for heavy lifting. (Notice I'm already reneging on the "probably never get rid of the Dillon 450" part) Then I would need to move the two Load Master presses with all that assorted stuff, 3 shotgun presses, a Mec 12 , a Mec 20, and a Hornady Apex 12, all progressives. That would leave the RCBS for progressive loading of all handgun and 223 rounds, the Forster for my more "accurate" rifle rounds, the Lee Classic Cast for heavy or "extra" work and a Ponsness Warren 375c with 12 and 20 gauge tooling installed for all my shotshell loading. That should work just fine. Maybe. :lol: just have to figure how to get there..... +corn
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

Man, I'm really old school -still using my 1979 RC! It's my only bench press and works well for me...

Good luck!

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

bayou wrote:Man, I'm really old school -still using my 1979 RC! It's my only bench press and works well for me...

Good luck!

Bayou

In all honesty Bayou, that's probably all I NEED as well, along with more than likely 75% of most any of us. Maybe we get caught up in "the more, the bigger, the faster, is better" mind set. Don't know. It probably really wouldn't be THAT difficult in time to reload, all I shoot anymore, with a single stage press. And could possibly increase my "enjoyment" of the process. Kinda like in the beginning when I got my first real press. Oh crap, now you got me re-thinking everything again..... :lol:
bayou

Post by bayou »

Didn't mean to upset the apple cart there, Horseman! I know there are some really nice press set-ups out there. I suppose that for the level of my shooting, which is about a thousand rounds a month on the the high side, the old RC just does what I need it to do. These type of things are all very personal, though.

I tend to reload in stages per session rather than completed rounds per session. So, on one session/day, I may decap 500 cases and get them tumbled, then another session on another day, size and flare them all. Then on another day, prime them all, etc.

It just works for me since I'm still full time employed and typically hit the bench for a couple hours at a time whenever I get the chance.

Being on the bench is very therapeutic, I must say!

Good luck! Keep us posted -

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Yep the newer better and color of a press or equipment brand seduces many a reloader. It certainly cost me money to play that foolish game. I know that old Herters press and dies I learn on did every bit as good a job as any press I've owned.

The stuff on my bench today make life MUCH simpler and quicker, just not better. I know that sometime this year or next a new gadget will be on the market and I will go down the path again. A sucker is born every minute because I look in the mirror and scare myself. :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
bayou

Post by bayou »

^^^^ Well, Dan, I admit that I've bought dies for calibers I don't even own, so I likewise fall into that "eyes bigger than appetite" category.

Who knows, maybe one day, I'll get a 380, or a 9mm, or a 30-30 or a 44 mag firearm. If that ever happens, then I'm gtg. But then again, I may just have some pretty scaps of metal taking up space!

It's all good...:)

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member

Return to “Topic Bucket”