2017 Forum Budget!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

2017 Forum Budget!

Post by Ranch Dog »

If you are curious about the financial health of the forum, you can look at the bottom of the Board Index page at any time or use the Donation link that is part of the header.

In a nutshell, the forum is doing great. We had a significant carryover from last year that will be used this year, but the forum always accepts donations, and they will be applied to the future just as last year's funds are now being used now.

Our actual expenses were quite a bit under budget, and that boils down to limits being placed on image sizes. The cost of the forum relates to how much material the database occupies and with most images being taken with HD smartphones, a single unedited image can be significate. As an example, we have 17,500 posts and 1,000 images stored yet those images occupy 26 times the bits and bites that all the text represents. There is no doubt a picture is worth a thousand words and everyone loves them; hopefully I have struck a good balance of image size against the cost of storing them. As some point down the road, I will need to pay to have code written so that images that have reached a certain age and have not been looked at in over a certain period, will be deleted. No sense in paying for something that isn't being used.

I'm also going to be looking into the donation button becoming a subscription button or at least feature that as an option a bit later this year. Like any PayPal subscription, it can be canceled at any time. For now and that we have almost made our budget for the entire year, consider your donation as paying it forward for whoever joins us or comes behind us. You won't hear me harp about money until I see that we are about three months from closing the door. So do me a favor, especially if you are not a Supporting Member; take a look at the budget graph the links provide and if we need help, please considering being the one to provide it! Please don't wait for others to step up!

As always, I sincerely appreciate your interest in making this endeavor possible.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 2017 Forum Budget!

Post by daboone »

I'm in for the annual subscription it it goes that way.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Topic Bucket”