Ahhh, the never ending winter

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Ahhh, the never ending winter

Post by horseman »

Well here we go again. Been snowin' steady for two days now. About another foot to go on top of the foot and a half that was still on the ground from the 2-3 ft previously. I've spent about 40hrs plowin' snow already and am not in the mood to do any more. Getting a bit difficult to get out to the barn to feed, but I just follow the trail the horses have. Sitting here waiting for a phone call from my wife who decided to drive down to the mail box (about a mile, crazy woman, even if she does own a jeep) and tell me she can't make it back up the hill. She asked me if I thought she could make it down there, told her sure going down ain't hard but it's the comin' back up that's the problem..:lol: but I still have the chains on all four on the tractor so am ready. Dan, why don't you and Larry find me a nice place there in Arizona with a few acres for some horses and room to ride....something nice and quiet, not to extravagant and close enough you two fella's (and Lisa) could stop by for coffee (or whatever) once in a while. Then help me convince my Missus that it's a good idea.... :D
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Ahhh, the never ending winter

Post by daboone »

My home is empty for another10 days. It is 75 right now and beautiful. I tell you where the hide a key is for the house and the car if you decide to take me up on it. ;) Larry know all the good shooting spots. There is one catch...... I need some cleaning and organization in my reloading and gun room. :roll: :P
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I just knew there'd be a catch to that....... :lol: Ya know I've truly been thinkin' about what I said. Told the wife that ridin' in the desert is easier than the mountains around here but she just ain't buyin' into it. Stubborn as a 12 dollar mule. Says she likes to see all the seasons, I said you mean like ours, fall and winter....she just walks off mutterin' something I probably don't want to hear...sometimes I wonder .... :D
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Like Dan said Gus, weather here is great, except for 2 to 2 1/2 months of monsoon.
Nasty, sticky hot. Being the only one of 5 siblings born away from West Virginia & the
mountains of far western Maryland. I never did REALLY understand it when Mom & sisters
would say " I miss the green " & " I miss the seasons " until I spent just shy of 30 years
back there in the same little places the rest of my family was from, then moved back to
the Arizona desert where I was born & raised. Now I know EXACTLY what they were talking
about. I even miss those giant snows, (not shoveling or scrapping ice)
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Today I had to scratch free the windows on my car, after nearly a week when I didn't even need a coat any more.

But the weather is nice and sunny, contrary to the rain and fog of the last week, so I prefer it that way.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Born and raised in south Louisiana. Moved to Montreal with my job for 12 years. Met my wife up there. Took her down to meet the family a week before Christmas. We left Montreal at -10 deg and a foot of snow on the ground, got off the plane in Baton Rouge at 80 deg and sunny. Her first words were " When do we move"
We did, 7 years later. Yesterday was 80, but we will only get in the mid 60's today. I love the summers up north and the winters down south.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

It was 84 Tuesday afternoon. It's 30 right now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Honestly, I have nothing to complain about as the weather has been perfect here. During the heat of the day yesterday, it was 87°, and it was 45° this morning because of a frontal passage last night.

I love this time of year because I get to catch stuff on fire. Been working my prescribed burns, I plan on burning the whole place as the long drought a few years back got me out of sequence. The following is a beautiful sight to me, two days ago you could not have walked 5' into it off the fire break!

I burnt this 30-acre corner perfectly if I don't say so myself! The neighboring ranches are improved pastures, with about 3' of growth, so it is very hard to get the right wind to burn this corner, but a fellow gets lucky once in a while. Burnt it right up to the edges.

I've had two long days and nights, last night because the frontal passage was shifting the wind into the dried grass. I worked from 4:00 in the afternoon to 1:00 in the morning separating the stumps of dead huisaches. These things can get to about 15' high, and they burn like roman candles. Not much to them, grab a limb with gloved hands and pull them out of the ground. Usually, they would be left alone, but with the wind coming up t0 20 mph into the dried grass, they had to be dealt with. The clear night with the moon and smoke plus the "roman candles" sending embers into the sky makes it look like some weird battlefield, however; I love this quite work away from everyone.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I love the half days of sun and morning overcast , the cool not quite cold nights we're having now . The 65° days are nice too. I don't trust it for a second ! I know I'm going into work with a nice lake breeze and 50° and be driving home in snow .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Yesterday 62 deg. Went to the range to shoot newly reloaded .38 spec wad cutters. Also brought 9mm SR9c but in the excitement of temporary nice weather, I forgot to pack the 9mm bullets.
Today SNOW SNOW SNOW
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA

Return to “Topic Bucket”