Reloading equipment "need" vs "want".

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Reloading equipment "need" vs "want".

Post by horseman »

Was just reading through the post on the "turret retirement" and following reply's (including my own) and it got me to thinking, which can sometimes be a dangerous and counter productive process for me. I have come to the "possible" conclusion that had I not entered into the world of the "internut" and reloading forums where all this wonderful information is found, I might just possibly still be doing my reloading on my old Pacific stuff that I purchased in 1976, and sold off just a few short years ago, and the Lee turret press, as mentioned in the thread, I bought and then updated in the 1990s. It seems, in my memory at least, that I was pretty content with those presses and my production with them. Fact is after the turret update to a 4 station auto index I thought I was really making progress. I know progressive presses were about during these times but I just wasn't interested and didn't feel the "need" for anything more than what I was using. But evidently I'm a very impressionable fella, watching and reading about all these wonderful tools must have made me feel the "need" for them when in all actuality it was simply a "want". I will admit that all the new, different presses I've had and have are pretty amazing stuff and are enjoyable to use but I think that I was happier in my ignorance with the simple tools I had. They also were good tools and enjoyable to use. I agree the new Classic Turret may be a "better" rendition but to what degree. Ability to load large rifle cases for sure, but I always did rifle on the SS press. Still do with the exception of 223. I'm beginning to admire more and more the folks who started with a RC 40 years ago and are still going with it, and haven't fallen into the trap of modern day marketing. Kinda like looking for the "magic" powder, maybe I was looking for the "magic" reloading equipment, you know, the next great thing. ;) I realize there are probably a lot of guys who shoot enough that they "need" the output of a good progressive press, but on average how many of us that use them actually have that "need"...I don't believe I get the same type of pleasure and satisfaction I used to get sitting down on the Multi-Power and reloading a couple boxes of rifle rounds. Understand I'm just musing here, not questioning anyones methods or "wants", likes or dislikes. But if I had never seen or heard all the "glowing" reports of (insert brand) progressive press or like equipment I doubt I would have missed them. Am I just "reliving" the good ole days or does any of this make since to ANYONE other than me.... :lol: but I think this is the reason I purchased the Co-Ax, looking for that sense of satisfaction I seem to remember from before. (But I am keeping a progressive around just in case... :lol: )
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Reloading equipment "need" vs "want".

Post by daboone »

Ain't that the truth. I started on a Herters C-frame under my dad's tutelage and loved it so much I was for ever hooked. I'm now 70 and that was when I was 8 or 9 years old. The powder measures were just wire soldered to a case cut to a certain volume. The scale was an old oil dampened Redding. I still have it and it is still accurate.
Since then I've "upgraded" several tmes but the only real improvements came when I learned to do load work ups and from seriously keeping notes about those load work up.
No press, tool or other device has actually improved reloading. I do admit that having them makes things less tedious and faster but as said not better. I'm glad I've learned how to make better handloads. I'm glad I've tried and used many different reloading presses and tools. Like you said I just got sucked into thinking newer is better. But only better in time savings and speed of output.

I still feel that same satisfaction I did as a kid every time I pull the trigger.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I know I shoot far more than the average gun owner, at least in Germany. But still, I "only" load about 5 to 6 thousand rounds a year. If I planned my time, and went to the loading room more regularly, that would be achievable on a single stage press.

But on the other hand, I always want to improve. Since the accuracy is not an issue in my reloadings, these improvements need to be found somewhere else. For me that's ease of operation and happiness found in technical stuff.

So just yesterday I unboxed two more (!) pro1000 presses. Even if swapping carriers is only a matter of two minutes, I already damaged one carrier in that process. Now I got a dedicated pro1000 for each caliber I currently load in greater numbers. That brings me to a total of six presses (3x pro1000, classic turret, reloader "c"-press, hand press).

Of course I don't "need" all that. It doesn't even help me make "better" ammo. But it makes reloading more convenient.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't load or shoot much.....yet.

Some day when I'm retired (that might mean dead) I'll be glad I slowly bought up the world's gently used next great thing equipment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I'm a sucker I guess for the super tools .
I bought an A MAX A4 about a yr ago that is now out of production ....... :(
It sure makes brass forming easy though .
I'm not really a gadget guy case trimmers are a prime example . The press mounted Lee and the hand held versions by both Lee and Lyman are quick and pretty simple to use unless you need to ream necks and cut off a quarter of an inch . Think 257 Robert or any x55,57 or 58 from 06' .

It's all in what you do and need to do to get what you need to have . Or something like that .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm one of those guys that started with a Rock Chucker going on 50 years ago this coming September and it still sits front and center on the bench. In the late 80s and early 90s when Linda and I spent nearly every week end shooting IHMSA matches i finally gave in to the progressive bug and bought a Dillon 650 so I could keep up with the ammo demand. She shot 7mmBR and I was shooting 6.5 TCU and after I got the Dillon set up for both I was able to keep up with demand. Still have it and it gets on the bench once or twice a year to load "bulk" 9mm Para and 45 ACP. Wish I could load the 40-65 on it but will not temp fate with it and BP.

Always liked the looks of the Coax and you guys are raising and itch, but I hav other irons in the fire so i really have to pass for now.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
timv
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by timv »

I bought the Rock Chucker kit to start, I soon got tired of loading handgun on a SS, and wanted a progressive so I bought a Pro 1000 for handgun but still use my Rock Chucker for rifle
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Seeing this thread again rattled some chains .
I had a LM it ran perfectly the first couple of times that I used it , I guess my lack of a clean room and the lent factory in the desert don't make for a user friendly environment . I've had a couple of the Lee turrets a 3 hole and a 4 hole . The 4 hole was really nice I cranked out a bunch of 45 ACPs in short order . Aside from the magnetic attraction of hair balls and dirt rabbits (dust bunnies all grown up) in the LM and the lack of cam I can't think of anything I didn't like about those presses . Sure they wiggled a little but everything lined up where it was supposed to be and was straight and in line . They just don't grab me and say "let's load something" . Maybe it is just me . I look out at the wing of a 757 and think to myself "how many times has that winglet flexed 75% plus of the design flex , when was the last time they washed that cowling , lotta skin flex to get those black lines so long , I wonder what the trajectory is of a 6oz ball peen hammer over 31-35,000 ft at 534 knots , I bet Framers hasn't handled a screwdriver in the oil pan that just came outta nowhere right through the cars roof ." I just can't warm up to the progressives .

I will be the first to admit that a short throw cam over press especially for the .7-1.5 case length family would be the bees knees . Even if it were just a half stroke press like a scaled down Partner type .

Maybe it's because I have a couple of measures that throw consistent charges that I don't miss the virtues of the progressives .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

Started out with an old RS2, a powder measure and scale also from rcbs and a Lee AutoPrime. I loaded and shot a lot of 38s, 357s and 9mm using that set up. Most of my bullets were cast from 3 molds, a 358-158gr SWC w G/C, 358-150gr SWC and a 358-105gr SWC, all from Lee. About 4 years ago I traded out the RS2 for a RC. Sold the old RS2 and some other pieces to a kid to help him get started. After a short time I wished I had never sold the RS2 as the throw on the RC was a bit more. Thanks to evilBay I rectified my mistake. My first true "upgrade" didn't happen til a few months ago when I purchased my Lee Classic Turret. I wish I had learned about it earlier.
Been looking at other "time savers". I have been looking into the Auto Disk powder measure. I like the idea of a set measure that doesn't get out of adjustment. A few years ago I purchased a Little Dandy powder measure but the cost of the individual rotors is substantial. The Auto Disk comes with all of the disks and the size difference between the cavities looks like you get a fairly decent choice of weights to choose from. Has anyone here used it as a stand alone powder dispenser?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

cj8281 wrote: <snip> The Auto Disk comes with all of the disks and the size difference between the cavities looks like you get a fairly decent choice of weights to choose from. Has anyone here used it as a stand alone powder dispenser?
I have one of the older bench mount disk measure (decidedly non-auto) like it with some powders hate it with others. It, I and real fine grain sphericals don't get along, but that's maybe the age of the machine (or operator) and with a little work it could be mad to work better.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”