Petroleum Jelly- Seriously!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Petroleum Jelly- Seriously!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now that I have all three Load-Masters running smoothly, with petroleum jelly as the only lube, I'm serious wondering why it took me a lifetime to try it. I think my presses are running slicker than they ever have and the PJ is a big part of it. I've used all kinds of stuff from aircraft engine oil on the ram to moly greases via the zerk fittings. I got tired of the dark sticky grease on the ram. What I saw when I took all the pins apart is the grease that set up hard and took a fine wire to pick it out from the tiny bore reamed through the pin. I thought about that a bit as the grease is what I use on my tractor and all over the tube is its merits on how it performs under high temperatures and pressures. I don't think the Load-Master produces either and the bottom line is it settles up in the tight places. I ended up having to clean all the bores through the pins with solvent under pressure; the passages were plugged.

I have a small grease gun from Harbor Freight that I load with PJ using a paint stick, probably takes me two minutes to fill it up. I gave up trying to get PJ to push through the oiler point; I just spread a bit on the ram by hand. It is easy to clean up afterward and a light coat once done.
pj_01.jpg
pj_02.jpg
I've also tried it as a rifle case lube, works great, and noticed that the little 32 Auto case kind of "chattering" as the case slider moved it to the shell plate. At times the chatter would cause the case not to fully seat. I started to apply a light coat of PJ to the upper surface of the carrier tongue, and this is no longer an issue. A light coat applied by finger has lasted for my entire sessions. I'm doing this on the other two presses as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Petroleum Jelly- Seriously!

Post by daboone »

I'm an old dog and sceptical. OTOH PJ looks almost transparent, less "dirty" to begin with, and if it got dirty from normal press useage it would be more apparent. This would signal you that it is time to do that maintenance. You are absolutely correct about the lack of high temperatures and pressures involved in running a press, even a progressive. So maybe this old dog will try PJ on the next routine maintenance.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

A few years ago I was working on small truck crane and I needed some grease to lube the pulley axles as I was installing them. I didn't have the black stuff handy and I kept a tube of Vaseline in my toolbox for my hands, and not wanting to hassle with the idiot in the tool crib, I grabbed the Vaseline. Worked great so I've been using PJ on occasion since (light lubing)...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Same here mikld, I use PJ on my hands and always have a container in my truck and tractor. I end up using it on a lot of things but never have tried the presses.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I set up my LCT yesterday after it's return home from the war. Wiped it down and PJ'ed it up.

I don't like the smell. Need to get unscented if I'm gonna keep some around the bench. The bullet lube I made has scented in it so it really stinks combined with the other chemicals.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

GasGuzzler wrote:I don't like the smell. Need to get unscented if I'm gonna keep some around the bench.
I didn't know they made it scented. OTOH I like the smell of BP, Hoppes #9 and EEZOX so maybe my smeller is behaving like my other aging body parts. :lol:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Hmmm. didn't know PJ smelled :lol: Most of my smeller was burned up from radiation treatments... :o
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

the first 10 years of my "fire arms life, when I lived at home with my parents, were spent cleaning guns with WD40, and lubing with Vaseline and 3 in 1 oil. I still have some of those guns and they are in as good condition as they were 50 years ago. Gun abuse? I don't think so.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you JD!

GG, I buy the bulk Wal-Mart brand of PJ and I sure cannot detect any odor.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”