It has been mighty quiet!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

It has been mighty quiet!

Post by Ranch Dog »

The last 30 days have seen no reloading activity by me, really unusual with hunting season just about here. Hurricane Harvey did create about two weeks of daylight to dark work for me, so that put other farm and ranch stuff behind as well. Nothing to complain about compared to the loss others experienced but it kept the door on the reloading room closed.

I was busy as could be yesterday morning putting farm equipment away and after a short nap, I walked through the door to try and figure out what projects had been put on hold and where I was in them.

This year will be the year of the Win 94 Scouts as far as hunting goes:
  • The buttstock on the 35-30 needs to be:
    • cut off, the recoil pad fit,
    • and then the wood refinished.
    • I have about 20 rounds of jacketed ammo to send through the barrel, and then the Lee C358-220-RF will be figured out.
    • With the ammo settle both scope and open sights need to be adjusted.
    • The Lee FCD did arrive.
  • The 30-30 Win Scout needs:
    • the open sights set.
    • I did receive a shortened FCD from Lee.
  • The 44 Mag Scout needs:
    • Ammo
    • and the open sights adjusted.
While setting the FCD for the 30-30 Win Scout on the turret, I'm thinking about having another 30-30 Win FCD die shortened as my Savage 340 uses a 2.000" case as well. That is a separate turret/die set as I use the Collet die with it. It will be a good reloading project to see how ammo without a crimp performs against ammo with an FCD crimp.

I did have a couple of scopes arrive, both low power variables made by Weaver. I bought a 1-4X24 Kaspa from a fellow on eBay, NIB, and then the 1-3x20. The Kaspa is a turd with its 30mm tube at near a 1lb. I wish I bought it from MidwayUSA or another vendor so I could return it. The 1-3x20 is what I was looking for; a very compact, lightweight scope. It is the same length (9") and weight (8 ounces) as their K4 Classic Scout. I talked to Weaver, and they were thinking about updating the base K4 to the same size and weight. That will cost me as I will buy a dozen of them. Anyway, I bought another 1-3x20 on sale at Midway this morning, both of my Savage 170s will wear them.

This scope quest has left some scopes that are going to leave the ranch; I need to figure that out and move them.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: It has been mighty quiet!

Post by RBHarter »

I sure wish there were more fixed 4-6x scopes available , they shouldn't be as much or more than variables either ......

I haven't done much of anything of late ....... typical of the desert melt you or let you freeze .

I did find some aged bullets for the new 223s . I got the girls an Axis lefty and a Stevens 200 . I can't believe how hard it is to get those itty bitty cases to go sub sonic .......... I think I need a heavier bullet the 62 gr 225-55 FP just won't go there .......

I do have a few loads pending to shoot in the 358 and 30-30 .
The 45-70 showed me a few tricks ..... lessons learned , I think I found the source of the recoil concussion....... Back to the 410-420 gr loads backed off to 12-1300 fps maybe some nice 1500 fps 350s .

Shooting that did happen recently did so in the mountain shadows after 6 pm when it was cooling into the upper 90s ........46 last night . Snow last week . The week before was in the 90s .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:I sure wish there were more fixed 4-6x scopes available , they shouldn't be as much or more than variables either ......
Isn't that the truth!
RBHarter wrote:I haven't done much of anything of late ....... typical of the desert melt you or let you freeze .
Will this be your last winter in the desert?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Yep .

The forecast is for a brutal one .
When I think of the bad ones I'm thinking of the mid 80s where the snows came for Halloween , Veterans day and Thanksgiving then the valleys socked in under an inversion and we spent until mid January with temps of -14 to zero and got the last snow of the winter on 3/20 . I'll tell you the studded tires earned their keep those years . 3 months of packed ice on the roads getting deeper every time a car went by . Barbed wire 2" around from the frost and deadman corners leaning or loose wire when it warmed up .

Good times ......
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Forum editor here: Is the title spelled correctly? :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Forum editor here: Is the title spelled correctly? :)
Thanks!
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Reloading has been slow here too. Everything is in need of repair. 2 of my 4 tractors are broken, my 4 wheeler is broken, my truck quit on me Saturday, The chlorine generator on the pool went out and the water is green.

"I did find some aged bullets for the new 223s . I got the girls an Axis lefty and a Stevens 200 . I can't believe how hard it is to get those itty bitty cases to go sub sonic .......... I think I need a heavier bullet the 62 gr 225-55 FP just won't go there ....... "

I do it with the old Lee 55 gr Bator and 1.5 grains of 700X
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

My measure will only throw down to about 2.5 Unique ....... It's been a long time since I dropped any Red Dot about the same I think .

Return to “Topic Bucket”