Lost my ranch dog..

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lost my ranch dog..

Post by Ranch Dog »

In light of yesterday's tragic losses, this is small but my dog Millie passed. Her real name is Milagro, Spanish for "Miracle" which was given to her by a vet that rescued her. Not sure of the circumstances but in the ordeal, she had chewed through her right front leg to free herself of some hold. Because of the trauma to her limb, the vet was going to put her down unless someone was interested putting in the time she would need to recover. My wife and I immediately offered and funded the necessary surgery, but it was actually about a month before she had recovered enough to come home.

On adoption day ten years ago, she had been recovering at the vets home with other like animals, and it was absolute chaos inside. I took her out it the yard and let her go and then sat on the ground. She slowly walked over to me and crawled into my lap so I held her and she let loose several months of trembling right threw me.

Milagro became Millie as it just fit her loving nature and ended up being easier on the grandkids to pronounce. She was supposed to be my "wing-dog", but it soon became apparent that Momma was her overall favorite although I was good for a daily dose of laughs, adventure, and having a human to attack without penalty. Within a year of adopting her, a condition surfaced within my wife that causes seizures. After the first seizure, we realized that Millie, through her behavior, could forecast the events about 48 hours before they happened. Millie was pretty busy over a four-year period until the doctors got Momma's condition under control.

The absolute joy of her life was our grandchildren, above with our youngest granddaughter Austin this past summer. Any amount of roughhousing or loving was fine with her, just as long as they were doing something that involved her. My oldest grandson, who was born and raised on the ranch and thought of her as his pillow for watching TV, also thought cats had four legs and dogs three!

As she aged, she developed a cool, "been around the block" look with her bent ear, the result of an opossum bite! With age, she also developed lumbosacral, a condition affecting the spine, pelvis, and hips. It had been kept under control with medication as she went through good and bad days, the good always outweighed the bad. On Sunday evening, she started downhill a bit harder than before, but the meds did their job. By 8:30 last night we realized she was really in trouble, so I called the Vet and when he returned the call she was even worse. He agreed that her time had run out and said he would meet us at his office out on the highway. While I was carrying her to the car, she passed in my arm as I laid her on her down on the bed in the back. Momma took it real hard. Mille always took care of business, and I have no doubt that she took care of this so we would not face the burden of the decision.

I buried her in her favorite spot in the yard, a spot that offered her a commanding view of the entry road. One of her greatest pleasures was harassing the UPS Guy but always with a wagging tail.

Rest in peace, my friend.
Michael
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Lost my ranch dog..

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Sorry for your loss Michael. We share so much of ourselves with the really good canines in our lives. They return the love and interest.

The various stock dog breeds are exceptional in their bonding with us and their savvy, aren't they? My two present rescued Aussies contribute so much each day to our lives. Always ready to join in whether it be a fun adventure, some kind of work around the property, turkey hunting, or simply chilling in the yard or house, they tend to be "self-training units".

It sounds to me that Millie is to be remembered for her wisdom and joy for the rest of your life.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

9x80Drilling wrote:Sorry for your loss Michael. We share so much of ourselves with the really good canines in our lives. They return the love and interest.

The various stock dog breeds are exceptional in their bonding with us and their savvy, aren't they? My two present rescued Aussies contribute so much each day to our lives. Always ready to join in whether it be a fun adventure, some kind of work around the property, turkey hunting, or simply chilling in the yard or house, they tend to be "self-training units".

It sounds to me that Millie is to be remembered for her wisdom and joy for the rest of your life.
Thank you, Drilling. The Red Healer in Millie was true to her breed; headstrong and always interesting to be around.
Michael
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Sorry for your loss. The good memories of her will go on. I regret I didn't take more pictures of Brandy like you did of Mille
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank Scribe. Yeah, the pictures will help with the memories.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Sorry for your loss. Our pets, especially the dogs are part of the family. They add so much to our lives and we miss them so much when they are gone. Every one has their own personality. They are never forgotten.
Blanco

Post by Blanco »

So sorry for your loss RD
I have several of my own extended Canine children.One of my favorites was Dolly. She was supposed to be a pedigreed bird dog with a championship background. After several years of training it became obvious she would much rather be my lap dog. My vet had pointed out on several occasions that she had a heart murmur. About two years ago she got a bit down and went rapidly from not feeling well to not eating and then an emergency trip to the vet. The vet informed me she had an infection that would require surgery and because of her weakened state and her heart condition he did not give her favorable odds.
Possibly the hardest thing I have ever done was to tell her goodbye
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Commented on the rifle site so I'll be brief and say I empathize for your family. Take care.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for your kind words fellows.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry for your lose RD its tuff to lose a friend like a good dog.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Topic Bucket”