once-fired brass question: Brass World

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

once-fired brass question: Brass World

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey 'yall!

I've been recently moving forward on the path of reloading enlightenment, taking baby steps with several calibers using good ol' Lee Loader "pocket" kits.
To that end, with my main focus on .38/.357 reloading to feed a pair of revolvers and a Rossi 92, every case I shoot from a new box of factory ammo gets saved towards future use.
I noticed that Brass World online shows a variety of once-fired .38 brass, for example, in a variety of selected finishes or maker marks. I'm wondering if the low cost they advertise seems about average or very inexpensive, or "just about right" for what I should be expected to pay for such used brass.

They currently show a range of $6.50-$7.50 per 100 on .38. For .357 cases, the only offering today is nickel plated at $15 per 100. How do these numbers line up for you? Again, since I've recently gotten the reload bug, and have just been saving cases from new ammo, with the occasional gun range scavenging, I don't know much about cost.

Thank you ladies & gents!

Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: once-fired brass question: Brass World

Post by farmerjim »

Look around on the gun forums for non dealer sales if you have time. I found 38's for $5 a 100 and 357 mag for $10. In big lots ( 2 to 3 K) I have bought it for quite a bit less. If you need a small amount now, this is ok.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Don't buy any.
Just collect from your fired factory cases.
Sometimes people give .38 away.
$0.06 per .38 is not uncommon.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

38spl brass like most pistol brass has a very long lifespan. So I'd base purchases on the quantity required to get thru a days shooting. 100% of my 30spl brass was free picked up at ranges.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

You'll wind up with mountains of 38 as long as you keep picking it up .
357 is less common .

I think the last 357 I bought was about $15/100 in the pits of the last gun salesman of the century run .

I think brass world is inspected and ready to load .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Like any common calibre that has been used by numerous military, police and civilian services quality will vary depending on source. Your own brass and range "gifts" that you know were once fired are preferable to the unknown "mixed" variety. Internet private sales are a crap shoot unless the seller is known to be reliable. I checked out Brass World and they sort by head stamp. They seem to sell only commercial brass. They also pin polish which makes sizing a cleaner activity. Looks like a good source to me. Unfortunately US Federal law will not let them sell outside the country. BTW there is nothing wrong with nickle plated brass. It sizes and lasts just as long as unplated brass and keeps its shine.

As a new reloader I hope you will forgive me this little anecdote. Last night I trimmed 160 30-06 brass cases that I have collected in the last few months. The brass was all once fired while I was at the range. I had cleaned and sized it a few days earlier. It was all Remington brass. I used a Lee gauge and cutter and a portable drill press to hold the chuck and shell holder. Some cases were under the trim size, some hardly touched and others produced turnings like a lathe. Even with the same head stamp once fired brass can vary greatly. That is why I spend extra time preparing used brass for first use by me. A few minutes of extra effort makes for a better reloading experience.

Happy shooting.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Known once fired brass is okay, random range pick ups maybe, maybe not. With most of my rifle and a few of the handguns I prefer to work with known qualities, so i start with fresh brass and abuse it myself. That said I paid right around $15 for 100 Starline 357 a few weeks back at my local Cabelas. They'll go for hunting load development in the '92 and will stay with the '92. Yep, I'm just that anal but then I only have the 2 357s to load for as I don't shoot the original Contender much at all.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Like my dad says let me render myself explicit...

Don’t buy .38 brass. Someone should send you some free. I don’t have any now. I loaded all of it and don’t shoot it.

You can buy Starline new .357 brass for not much more than used.

I’d send you .38 brass like others did for me if I had enough loose pieces to make it worth it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

My local range wants an exorbitant amount for their once fired so I get mine from a range that is about an hour away, generally when I am headed that way anyway. He asks $3.10 per 100 of 38 spl, 357 are $8 per 100. Cash only and no shipping for dirty range brass. I find very few that appear to have been shot more than once.
I am still shooting 38 special brass that I started with in 1989. I have a chili can that I throw all the ones that have splits. It takes me about 2 to 3 years to fill it up.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Gents,

Thank you for your good advice on once-fired .38 brass, and sourcing brass in general. I'm learning new things about the hobby each and every day!

Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Return to “Topic Bucket”