Amazon Prime Air

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Amazon Prime Air

Post by horseman »

Well folks I was wondering what the next "usage" could be for Drones. Just received an e-mail from Amazon this morning looking for "beta testers" for a new delivery system for those folks that just can't wait for normal delivery methods. You guessed it. Drone service. As little as 30 minutes for a delivery (I would surmise that location would be a determining time factor here). No mention of cost per delivery but would probably be more than UPS. :lol: Unless of course they offered this new delivery system in a "package" like Amazon Prime is at 100 bucks a year. Wonder what yearly cost for drone service would be?????? :shock: Anyone else see this offer? I mean it ain't April so could this possibly be an actual offer?? Whadda ya all think? :roll:
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Amazon Prime Air

Post by farmerjim »

I would like it, but I am too far out in the boonies. I am 20 miles from a walmart and 38 to a town of any size. It cost money and time to make a 75 mile round trip. What can be put off waits to be shipped to me, or picked up on a trip for many things.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

What do you recommend for drones? I am thinking BB or 000 buckshot +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:What do you recommend for drones? I am thinking BB or 000 buckshot +guns
Express BBs. One fly over my place and it will hit the dirt.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

As stupid as it sounds, drones large enough to be more than toys require a license to fly and are subject to FAA Rules. If I were a retired pilot in the boonies I might shoot one down too but I'd be prepared before I did.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:As stupid as it sounds, drones large enough to be more than toys require a license to fly and are subject to FAA Rules. If I were a retired pilot in the boonies I might shoot one down too but I'd be prepared before I did.
I've got a retired buddy, a pilot as well, that flies one for a survey company. He holds one of the first drone licenses issued by the FAA. The difference with this type of flying and there are rules and penalties for abusing the use of such. The licensed operator must be in plain view of the drone so that also places a limit on how some of the abuse is taking place.

Our Sherrif's Department just got a couple, they are big enough that they need to haul them around on a trailer. The survey outfit's drone is not quite that big, it will ride in the bed of a truck, but barely. They are not toys. Living where we do, I have no doubt that one of the SO drones is shot down in the first 25 to 50 hours of operation.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:I would like it, but I am too far out in the boonies. I am 20 miles from a walmart and 38 to a town of any size. It cost money and time to make a 75 mile round trip. What can be put off waits to be shipped to me, or picked up on a trip for many things.
Jim, you have the same setup as I except my Walmart is half your drive, 10 miles. I still don't go into town if I don't have to. I posted a picture of my dog sitting with an order of her food from Walmart, and that is what we do. Buy everything we need online and have it shipped to our door for free in two days. Victoria is 38 miles away, and there is nothing there that I can't get online with free shipping. I tend not to use Amazon as they charge State sales tax (8.25%) so I buy from those that don't. So all my purchases come from out of state.

We have two local gunshops both, 10 miles away, and a bunch in Victoria but I don't buy from them. We have nothing in common; none are Lee dealers, and their firearms of choice are not my choice. Anything I would buy from them just to support them is taxed at 8.25%. Not going to happen.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

It's 60 miles to my closest WalMart and 100 to a full service city .
I have had 18 hr delivery from Summit Racing .
I tend to think R/C airplane or Preditor when I think drone not remote piloted unmaned helo .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”