My Dogs

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

My Dogs

Post by Ranch Dog »

Came out of the big dog barn at Pet Adoptions of Cuero, and my truck was gone :evil:

Went inside to view the security footage and darn if Zeus, behind the wheel, and his pen mate, Laurel, hadn't taken it. Figured I ought to adopt them, so they didn't get in trouble. At least they swung back by to pick me up!

Seriously, my volunteer work was coming to an end as I personally just could handle all the emotion that comes with working with the big dogs. Puppies and sissy dogs move quick but the big dogs are in for the long haul, and it just tugs at me in a weird way. It hit me really hard when I was asked to recover a dog that had been left in the backyard of a house for two years unattended. The elderly lady that had lived in the home had passed, but her daughter wanted the dog left to "watch the property." Meals on wheels and the neighbors had continued to feed the dog, but the recent extreme temperatures would have killed the dog, so somebody finally made the call. I had to get the dog catcher to come and snag the dog with a pole, and he transported it to Adoptions. The lady next door was moving as all this was happening, she came out and told me she was going to need to leave her dog behind as the apartment would not allow it. This lady was going to leave a large dog that had been raised as a lap dog out in the teens and twenties temperatures to fend for itself. I could not believe she was serious, but she was. I called the Director, but we were overflowing because of the need to provide heated space. She said to "do what you got to do and we will figure it out." So I did, I brought Zeus to my home.

He is probably 50% cur, 35% bulldog, and 15% Australian Shepard.

After the temperatures came back up, Zeus went to the large dog barn, and I paired him up with Laurel, a male hound that had been left behind in our park as a hurricane evacuee passed through town. This happened more than you could believe as people found out their pets were not welcome at the shelters they were headed to.

Laurel is very laid back, in fact, too laid back to be placed with most of the large dogs that find their way to Adoptions. He is about two, and Zeus about 18 months so after a brief introduction, the hit it off and I left them together. I always thought that I would like to take Laurel because he is so laid back. When someone comes to look at large dogs, he is missed because of the chaos a visitor creates.

Anyway, after two nights I could of fretting over "my dogs" in the barn, I couldn't handle it anymore as I arrived at Adoptions. I gathered them up and took them home and told all the others to behave and I hoped they find homes.

The two "brothers from different mothers" have worked well, and I suspect they will continue to do so. These guys are tight but both at a different activity levels. For me, a great balance. You've seen Zeus, here is my hound Laurel.

Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: My Dogs

Post by horseman »

Good lookin' boys RD. Good for you.....Amazing what some folks will do to animals either through ignorance or just not caring. I believe it was Will Rogers who said "if dogs don't go to heaven then when I die send me where they went". I concur. I've got several good horses, dogs and one cat buried in a field down from the house. It's written when my time comes, spread my ashes where they are. Figure that way when I get to "wherever" I'll have some good dogs and fine horses with me....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Oh you fool ! You fell for the "puppy dog" close ! Now you're stuck with them for 8-12 yr ... ;)

I grew up with big dogs .Chip and Unique were 75 and 65+# Weimaraners . Chip went away when I was about 6-7 but Unique stayed till I was 14 . We had a grooming shop and boarding kennel . My great Aunt on Dad's side had the tiny poodles and called one day to see if they were interested in Darwin .......at 6 weeks he was twice the size of his litter mates and obviously no going to be the teacup or maybe not even a miniature . Sure enough he ended up well into but a small standard 20# of spring loaded rocket ......... Not much of a guard or hunter but he did fill some of the hole left by Unique for the folks .

I don't know why I waited so long but I came home to find that the youngest boy had picked out a rescue "Rottbador" and named her Purdea after the female in 101 Dalmatians . We stuck with Purdy after the Shotguns . In hind sight she all but became the other woman . She broke my heart ,but I wouldn't change a minute of her 12 yr stay she would retrieve and walk for 16 hr , had about 6 party tricks , moused and nobody got in a car or the house that wasn't invited . She did conversional subtle commands and what a goofball .
It took nearly 10 yr but now I have Remmy , her mother was about a 90-95# Rott her father was either a German shorthair or English pointer in the picture he was sitting ........ She got her father's everything ..... except legs and personality. When her nose hits a bird trail everything else shuts down but drive and eyes she must have about 75% of her grey matter attached to her nose . She's too friendly to be a grade A guard dog but I think if presented with a protection of the pack situation she would be assertive . I don't think she would let someone take something out of the cars either . 75# of goofball attached to my heels that eats like a little dog .

You'll only regret bringing them home for about a week after they leave you .

Apologies for the out of character reference ........
Started a new med and it seems to be having a poor affect on my filters and temper .......
Last edited by RBHarter on 29 Jan 2018 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I've had many kinds of dogs and each damn one had a different personalities and activity levels. Worse each one of those ugly no good rotten mutts trained me to meet their requirements, happily. Now that I'm old i have one of those sissy mutts that has no requirements other than, like his predecessors being my best friend. Well he insists on long walks twice a day and allows me to share the recliner with him.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

As the Aussies say, "Good on you mate". Very lucky pooches for sure and good looking at that. Hope they and you have lots of fun together. I am a dog person but my third wife isn't so no pooch in my house. The little dogs are okay but nothing beats a good sized four legged friend that still thinks it is a puppy. My big exception to that opinion is a beagle who just lives to chase bunnies in the crisp fall and winter air. To some they howl, to me they were singing although my last one was French and I couldn't understand a word he was saying ;-)
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I love happy endings
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you, guys!
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Great post with a great outcome. I miss having a dog around. We haven't had one for several years now. I hope a stray comes buy soon and adopts us.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:Great post with a great outcome. I miss having a dog around. We haven't had one for several years now. I hope a stray comes buy soon and adopts us.
If you have an adoption center nearby, your dog might be waiting for you. It would be worth the trip to find out.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My reloading room is part of a large garage/barn. When I'm in the room, I leave the door open so the dogs can visit. I was running 7.62x39 through the Load-Master and noticed they were not around anymore, looked out...

When the sun goes down, they are spent.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”