Smells and Memories

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Smells and Memories

Post by daboone »

Horseman nailed it with bourbon and Hoppes No.9. :D

I guess my sniffer never was particular as the women in my life disagree with most of my shop chemical's prefume. ( I've never been very good at discovering what women like besides my credit cards. :roll: )Heck I don't find EEZox, Ed's red or Ballistol offensive. Now my dogs on the other hand have rolled in some stuff that is worse than my best efforts in the bathroom. :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

The smell of black powder smoke reminds me of my old cannon. When I smell a fresh lit cigarette just after eating, I could kill for one. I haven't had one in 22 years. I still keep the half empty pack that I stopped with. The smell of the smoke from a 22rf reminds me of my first 22 single shot. I still have it in the safe.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I like the smell of the coast at low tide, that is one of my memories (the other is "White Shoulders", a perfume which the memories don't apply here).

Unfortunately (fortunately?) being an alky my odor memories are mostly bad. Ever wake up on a stinky gas station bathroom, smelling of Pinesol? Or a T-shirt smelling of stale beer and cigarettes?

Sorry fellers, didn't mean to include my bad stuff with your good memories, but I like to keep that kind of stuff/memory in my mind to remind me how bad it was...
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

the smell of linguica sausage on the grill. It reminds me of my dad grilling it as a treat before the main course years ago. RIP pop!
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Fyodor wrote:For old leather I use a newer product, based on bees wax. Also very pleasant smell.

I also love the scent of Ballistol... my girlfriend not so much. :D

That second sentence made me laugh out loud... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Fyodor, you should watch the way you write a sentence.....and you better hope your girlfriend doesn't read that.....we know what you meant by that phrase ....your girlfriend may not.... :D :D :D
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I love the slight hint of skunk scent in the air on a cold, crisp Autumn night .... and I ain't gonna admit why ;)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Well done this has turned into a good memory thread, and mink oil on my boots I grew up doing that and hated the smell. My dad still does it every fall to his boots and leather coat.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Horseman wrote:we know what you meant by that phrase
Na gut, dann schreibe ich auf Deutsch, und warte auf Eure perfekten Antworten ;)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

mr surveyor wrote:I love the slight hint of skunk scent in the air on a cold, crisp Autumn night .... and I ain't gonna admit why ;)

jd
Piney woods. I've seen the TV shows.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I enjoy Hoppes , WD-40 isn't what it used to be .
Real gasoline , aromatic fuels , like AV gas I like , pump gas makes me like a skunked dog I don't know what to roll in to make the stink go away but it needs to happen 5 minutes ago .

Some where around 40 I realized that as long as it's not on you or your dog skunk isn't really all that bad .

Ive always been a sucker for almost anything that smells like honeysuckle , also inappropriate for this forum .

Wet decomposed granite dust and clay over layed in sage with a hint of cedar and pinion pine is what home should smell like .
While many find it offensive many of my best happiest days come from the muddy tule water and saw grass .
I probably spent more time digging trucks out of the above than anything fun but it was good times spent with life long friends and family .
There was this deer trip . It was the weekend of the season we had had rain all across the area for 3 days and nights and the new moon mid November , the first hard cold nights . We turned off the asphalt and promptly found ourselves unable to move on the slick hard packed clay . So we chained up the truck and now in the dark headed on for the intended camp site . Lost a set of chains on a hill , why I didn't break anything I don't know . Any with it almost 10:30 and so black dark , mud caked boots , mud past the knees of our pants we gave up and went to the alternate camp site ........by now all of that was hard crust enough to drive on . We went further up than planned figuring to just start the hunt from camp . The hunt was a wash but in reflection now we probably walked past and just couldn't see 50 or so deer bedded in quakies just out of sight that a drive would have made easy pick and choose harvests .
Leaving Sunday afternoon we come up out of this basin in my little Chevy Luv 4×4 with 4 wheel chains on it , mud on every surface and gravel stuck to the mud covered with more mud and here's this 4 wheel drive club . The big Cherokees , Ram Chargers , Jeeps , big blocks pulling 14.00- 16.5 mud and snows (33-35" 12+ by 15,16 weren't a thing yet) . They all looked at us like a VW Beetle driving through the top fuel pits at the Winter Nationals . The guy at the front told us that they couldn't climb the hill we had thrown the chains on Friday night . I suggested that they not go down where we had come out .
Took me the better part of 3 hr to get all the mud out of that little truck ....... I probably had among the first ceramic coated headers . The clay mud was cooked on like it was fired in place . After that we referred to the mud scale for how much fun a trip was , more mud had to mean more fun .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”