Steel Pin Case Cleaning

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Steel Pin Case Cleaning

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is what I've ended up with as a "case cleaning station". All of it Frankford Arsenal equipment save one Lyman product.

I haven't said anything about the two items in the middle, but I think they are a lifesaver with this task. I didn't buy it at first as it seemed rather toy-like, but the Quick-N-EZ™ Rotary Sifter Kit is the easiest way I've found to separate pins and remove the water for quicker drying. Less than 60 seconds to do it and the basket will hold will handle the 5 lbs of brass and 7½ lbs of pins I'm using. Should have bought it when I started. I did buy the Media Transfer Magnet with the rotary tumbler and dryer, it has been indispensable.

The none FA product I use, not in view above, is the Lyman Steel Media Dual Sifter. I bought this early on and I don't know if it is worth the purchase and only use it to let my pins drain for drying.

The screen mesh contains the pins, but overall the plastic material is not up to the task given the weight of brass and steel that is typically used. I dry my pins when I'm done. I learned the hard way as here in the heat and humidity they start stinking. I thought a dead squirrel was in my pin bucket! Geeze, they stunk after a week! Once they sit a bit, I dry them in Moma's oven. The pizza pan in the picture will hold 5 lbs of pins, but not the 7½. Must use one of the others. I just preheat the oven to the lowest temperature and once there, turn it off, and let them cool.
Michael
Tom Myers

Post by Tom Myers »

Michael,
Just a thought.
My first few tries at wet pin tumbling, I was using hot water from the kitchen sink tap and getting about the same results as yours.
The hot tap water was processed through a water softener.

I next used the well water that by passed the softener. This water is quite hard but the results were better but not fantastic.

I started using purchased distilled water - cold -, a dash of Lemishine and squirt of Dawn dish soap. Now, with two hours of tumbling, even the cruddiest cases are completely clean and sparkly inside and out, including the primer pocket.
It has been my experience that the water quality is the primary influence on the finished quality.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks,Tom and welcome to the forum!
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Tom Myers wrote:Michael,
Just a thought.
It has been my experience that the water quality is the primary influence on the finished quality.
I can sure agree with this, when we bought this place the difference in wet tumbling
was nothing short of great. Old place had rotten water, our water now is super, cut
tumbling time for really nasty brass to 35 / 45 minutes with just pins, water, & big
squirt of cheap dish soap, no Lemi-Shine anymore & Preston, assembly line new..
Welcome Mr, Myers...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”