Scope Ring Screws & Base Cross Bolt Torque

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Scope Ring Screws & Base Cross Bolt Torque

Post by Ranch Dog »

I posted this on the Rossi-Rifleman in response and thought I would add it here.

In case you have never seen it, here is Weaver's guidelines for the various screws and mount cross bolts.

Here is a link to a complete detail on the Weaver brand of bases and rings, along with their Simmons and Redfield brands: Weaver Torque Specifications

In the past, I've been pretty good about following suggested specs and even have torque screwdrivers and wrenches. I don't have a place to get these devices certified anymore and I knew my rather high dollar driver had somehow gotten out of spec, so I've been tightening screws my feel. Where this became critical was a mount for my Mini-30 with the weight of the night vision scope. I over tighten the base screws, and they failed. The outfit sent me new screws, and I went ahead and bought a new driver, the Weaver #849728. I added a link to MidwayUSA because I noticed it was on sale! I had considered the Wheeler product as it is about $10 less, but the range is less than the Weaver, it is on sale as well.

What I do to get a true torque on the screws is run them all in and out while in hand. That puts a bit of wear on them and frees them and the hole threads from any mico-burrs that might exist. Sometimes the base screws come with a thread locker, so you are wearing through that, but that "locker" in its dried state is going to influence the torque of a screw and the value will come up short on the in/lbs. I reapply Loctite blue or red if specified I've, but use the blue if neither is stated.

Blue can be removed with hand tools. Red has screwed up a high percentage of the screws it has secured because people don't know how to remove it. It needs heat. The best way I know to overcome the bond of red is to heat the driver to be used with a propane torch until it glows, touch it to the screw head and let it set a few seconds to transfer the heat, and then tap the driver with a small hammer to shatter the seal. The red must be heated to 500°C to be removed to prevent damage to the screw or attach holes.

Ahhh, don't use a torque driver to remove screws!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Scope Ring Screws & Base Cross Bolt Torque

Post by Macd »

I wince when I am tightening down scope mounts, cross bolts or ring screws. Scope makers also have recommendations and the type of ring seems to make a difference. Those with screws on one side seem to add a fair amount of twist to the scope body while those with two per side have to be progressively tightened in an "X" pattern or you can easily overdo it on any one screw. I have the Wheeler Fat wrench. I use Permatex blue on mounts and sometimes rings. They also make a green but never have been able to find it in local stores.

Return to “Topic Bucket”