epiphany

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: epiphany

Post by orerancher »

horseman wrote:
orerancher wrote:I think there is about 15min. a Year, between Turn out and the start of Hayin that the Cows are not runnin My Life...

Sounds like a dairy farm to me. We had a couple of those in the family back in the day, like, 50-60 years ago. A lot of work. That was in Hood River Oregon, where bouts' you located orerancher? We always had a couple milk cows when I was growin' up, folks tell me I should get a couple now, I tell em' nope, my forearms are big enough the way they are.

RD I don't know of anyone around here that does that sort of thing. I have friends that tell me they'll be glad to come feed for me for a few days but I have trouble asking them to do that. I live a ways outa town and coming out twice a day to feed the dogs, cats, and horses, to me, is a bit to ask, even of a friend.But that's just me, so Cathy and I rarely ever go away together for any length of time, but that's o.k. we like it here. (Still thinking about that condo on a golf course though :D )

Did have one of Cat's nieces from Portland, Ore. come up a couple years ago to house sit and take care of things while we went horse packing up in the Eagle Cap Wilderness area. When we got back home she told us "it sure is spooky up here at night, really dark and quiet, I left all the lights on at night and turned on the radio". She never volunteered for that again... :lol:
Lincoln County Oregon.

when I was a Kid, We milked a couple cows, Sold the Extra Milk....
Let the Calves do that now!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I understand. Horses would be an issue. Down here it is cow/calves out grazing in the pastures, only thing needs to be done with them is to check the water troughs every few days. Actually, I even got tired of that plus a couple of times a year you work them. I rounded them all up and took them to auction and changed my ag exemption to a conservation exemption to keep the low property taxes and I'm now doing better than I did not making money in the cattle business. I'm a lot healthier, mentally & physically than when I had bovines.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

In addition to dogs and cats, my wife and daughter have chickens and goats. Guess who has to do the hard jobs?

Their hobby becomes another brick on my work load. :x
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have friends in enemy families that have dairy farms that share borders. Not sure why I mentioned that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have friends in enemy families that have dairy farms that share borders. Not sure why I mentioned that.

Not sure either, but it becomes more interesting every time I read it...... :geek:
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Yep, horseman! City folks get real nervous when the sun goes down and there are no street lights out on.
We gave up ranching 25 years ago or so when the wool market went down the toilet and lambs never got above $1.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy

Return to “Topic Bucket”