App Press

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: App Press

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Put an order in with Titan this morning, full press some bullet sizing stuff a 4 pack of their new bushings since they'll also work on the hand press. Need to go out to the Lee site last time I looked they have sizers for the 38/55 size bullets.
https://leeprecision.com/custom-breech- ... zer-punch/

You're welcome! ;) 8-)

I noticed that 75% of the custom overruns are from my special orders.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thank you,RD. I ordered a 377 and a 378. They are currently on backorder.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Finally got my APP set up and working. Since I had the machine I took a flyer and bought a bag of 500+ once fired .223/5.56 from Coastline metals. They arrive Wednesday and so it was time to find time to set the press up. I had added the primer pocket swagger kit, it includes a 223 decapper that Lee says must be used on 223 cases before swagging. The case feed was a little fiddly setting up but got it done last night and then knocked off. Just ran the first buzz bucket load of cases and other than keeping the case feeder full and a couple cases with badly damaged mouths that I missed while stocking the tube it went well. I do want the universal case feeder and the collator. I plan to decap all the 223 I have on hand before I move to the swagging operation, so more to report later.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

Thanks for the report. I'll be heading down the same path soon.

How was the brass quality from Coastline? Mostly commercial or military?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

klr wrote:Thanks for the report. I'll be heading down the same path soon.

How was the brass quality from Coastline? Mostly commercial or military?
Mostly commercial but even a lot of that seemed to have hard crimps. I'm not sure anymore were the military stuff is being loaded. Back when I was loading for 2 of the TCU cartridges I always tried to find Lake City head stamps when I had a choice. It seemed to stand up to expanding to 6.5mm and 7mm and the fire forming. Shooting fairly hot loads at steel animals I was getting 6 to 8 loadings before they showed signs of fatigue.

Stay weel, be safe, make smoke,
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks. I just ordered an APP and the primer swage kit so we'll see how it goes. I have 1k of mixed 223 and 500 Lake City 308 so that should give me something to work on while the world gets back to normal.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Thanks. I just ordered an APP and the primer swage kit so we'll see how it goes. I have 1k of mixed 223 and 500 Lake City 308 so that should give me something to work on while the world gets back to normal.
Yeah, that ought to keep you busy!

In that you are going to be using the APP and possibly a Load-Master, keep a search for the American Accurate Collator. The Lee Collator works well with pistol brass but doesn't work with the larger rifle cartridges at all. I purchased the AA Collator specifically for the 7.62x39 and it loads the Multi-Tube Feeder immediately.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

A word of caution - Don't use small animal liter ground corn cob to clean 223 or any bottle neck case for that mater. Glad I've got time on my hands.

Stay well, be safe make smoke,
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I've been using ground walnut shells. They still take a tap and a shake sometimes. I think I use too much lube inside the neck and the media sticks to it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm using Lyman's Corncob Plus and have had no issue with the small necks of my 218 Bee. I don't own a 223 Rem.
Michael

Return to “APP”