12/7/41 ........naw Dad's wild eye .

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

12/7/41 ........naw Dad's wild eye .

Post by RBHarter »

Usually today I would drag up the family tales of Pearl Harbor . But most of you have read them here and other places . God rest the weary souls of not only those that didn't make and those that did , but the civies that were there and knee deep in it too .

No today I will regale you with a tale of Dad and I's last hunt .....well really the drive to the lease and 10 minutes of not the least bit humorous in the moment but in hindsight one has to laugh just a little .

If prosthetic humor is a problem moove on along .

Dad lost his eye as a child in an unfinished closet so by 12/20ish of his 76th year he was pretty comfortable with it . I'm told 69 yr will do that . Now you have to understand he wasn't shy about having only one but he an Mom were married nearly 25 years before she saw him without his prosthetic or in a patch .
He was one of the lucky ones . He didn't need drops to keep it wet and he never outside of a couple of pretty nasty head colds had a drippy , snotty , or need to blink or squint to get it wet or have to dry it out .
I always envied him just a little for his shotgunning as he strictly used size for lead ranging rather than depth of field ....... Of course a dark line on a sidewalk raised cain with his walking as did unmarked ramps . No depth perception you know .

Moving along Dad had pulled or overworked a hamstring and been on a diuretic BP med so he'd not slept well and had just a little hit and run dry eye going on . As a result out 0400 roll out and 45 min drive to the lease gave him time to steal a nap about 30 minutes worth . Which left him with some new sleepies goobers in his now sticky eye . It was just about the last turn up the mile of dirt road to the lease gate when he hooked the left temple of his glasses between 2 fingers on his left hand instead of the usual lens frame pinch . Minor fumble but no biggie . The handkerchief came up like 10,000 times before .
Not this time . The hanky hung on it just enough to and just right . The fake rolled out and off his thumb knuckle , the spontaneous elbow wrist lunge happened in near perfect timing for the firm braking to come in ........ He let go of the handkerchief and started after the now fully in flight arcing in an irregular flow brought on by it's 60-25mph braking he began the swat to chest recovery bit . In the midst of this the secure glasses , but ungripped also went for a ride and tipped the loose prosthetic sending it to the door window sill . Remember the guy chasing this irregular shaped marble has no means gauging where it is between him and the dash . Fortunately at this point the chase settled down and landed in his lap collecting a gob wool jacket fuzz .

Now I don't how often you've gotten something in your eye but a strand of wool may as well be a rusty Brillo pad in the empty socket when you're trying to be casual about putting your eye back in . So out it comes again and half the hanky goes in the socket as I'm getting straight in the road after the turn off . He wipes it off good and catches a tear to add a little slickum and pokes it back in . I'm feeling a little awkward right about now and he says " it doesn't feel right does it look ok? " I swear to God the the coffee spit just burst out before I even had a chance to suspect it might be there , because he had it in sideways and it looked like a shamed hound looking all off in the corner . "No Dad you missed it by 60-120°" . Now he's embarrassed and flips down the vanity mirror and mutters something inappropriate for print but well suited to the moment .

He goes for the eye again and I don't know if his glasses being on the dash was good or bad at this point because damned if his eye didn't try to make a run for again . This time I like no way not twice ..... Yes twice but this time I'm all but stopped and the eye went all the way to the headliner off the left thumb to the right elbow to the vanity mirror . It's a left hand chest swat with a right cover up ( you're reading like a radio soprts annoucer right ?) , it's deflected off the coat zipper ! Wait he's got it . Oh no it the pretty woman ricochet snail off the dash it on his knee it's going to be a lap save . Oh $$$$ it missed the seat !

Being a Ford Ranger there just isn't a lot of room to move around to reach the floor even if we could have seen it in the predawn moonless lighting . We got stopped and Dad got out and in the dome light was able to immediately find his eye .... And a mountain of dirt stuck to it . I got out and started around to get a water bottle out of the back just in time to hear something about of all the sloppy butter fingered , something about a son of a female dog ......and he's down on his knee hunting in the grass . "Dad did you dip that sucker silicone ? "
He came on to the back truck and we got it washed off and he got a fresh handkerchief and he put the eye back again . Damned if he didn't get it upside down . In that moment of frustration he only said " to hello with it I'll fix it when I get home."

It was just like this every time I looked at him .
686c7057ee51f37d77f32b96faf06746.jpg

We saw one scroungy little forky . Dad stood the point and put me in the high shooter stand . About 10 we walked about 150 acres of chained off new growth and pushed a little 2 acre stand on the far end . Talked of life , kite strings , and sealing wax .

When we got home he went straight in to fix his eye but not before he was seen by Mom . She looked at me in the kitchen sacking the fridge and says " what did you do to your Dad ?" So I had to relate all of the above . She was appalled at first , but it just kept coming , and she soon could only say how embarrassed he must have been ." Young man " , she says to her 50 yo son , "he has always prided himself on his appearance ." Where he materialized in the corner of the kitchen with a scowl . It seemed to say , did you really tell the whole thing ? Quickly changing the subject I asked " would you have Doris the picture of Uncle Bingo in Tule lake with his wadders full of water ?" Pretty quick he was laughing about friends long gone and even how silly that wild eye looked .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 12/7/41 ........naw Dad's wild eye .

Post by Ranch Dog »

Oh, my... now that tale was funny. Thanks, I needed it!
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

My Dad also had a glass eye. He would clean it when he washed his face, just pop it out and rinse it off. I remember trying to poke my left eye out so I cold clean it just like Daddy did. Yep, that hurt and Mom had to reassure me that I didn't need to remove my eye, for cleaning or anything else.I guess medical technology was a bit lacking back in the '20s, '30s as it seems the Drs. would just remove an eye and prescribe a glass one. I don't know how he judged distances with just one eye but he was pretty good at it...
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

well, since the whole glass eye thing was brought up, I just have to tell a story that my little pea brain just can't forget. Back in the 70's while working for the local fire department I reported for duty one morning to hear the roar of laughter from the off going shift and a few guys just coming in for work. The station I was at had just a three man crew "on duty", consisting of the shift captain (Ray), truck driver (Speedie) and the "tailboard man" (Eddie). It seems that their shift put on quite a circus the day before. They were called out for a rural brush fire and had to access a gate and drive across what turned out to be a pretty rough field to get to the fire. They were booking along and about half way across the field it must have gotten pretty rough. Old Speedie hit a stump hole hard enough that it threw Eddie off the tailboard ..... then the truck stopped about 50 feet away. Eddie thought they knew he got tossed and were waiting for him. He jumped back on the tailboard and banged the truck and hollered he was ready. Nothing but crickets. He jumped off the truck and looked down the right side and saw Ray standing by his open door .... looked to the left side and saw Speedie standing by his open door digging around in the truck. Yeah, the little brush fire was still spreading but apparently nothing was going to change until Ray retrieved his dislodged glass eye and Speedie recovered his dislodged dentures. Eddie was a little sore after getting bucked off the truck, but at least (at that time) still had all of his own original parts. That was some really good times.

Thanks for jogging my memory :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

That story was hilarious. Thank you for sharing it.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Topic Bucket”