Seems to be some panic buying

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mad trapper
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Seems to be some panic buying

Post by mad trapper »

Week or two back,i was out to a doctor appt.
Wife called, said two men out behind the cabin, about 25 yds away, one had a rifle.
Told her stay inside,lock doors,grab pistol, call 911.
Deputy showed up 20 minutes later, tracked them down, said they were lost, they were from the closest big city, deputy told them to leave.
Before deputy showed up, they were taking their time, checked out the cabin, checked out the hand pump well, checked out the chicken coop, then walked out to the fishing pond, they were in no hurry and didnt appear to be lost, and didnt ask for directions.

I have to assume they were scoping out a place to go, if things get real bad.
If they come back, will probably have a large party with them,

I have no choice but to be well prepared, with ammo and reload supplies.
It was already bad enough with people cooking and growing, state police wont even go into the mountains alone.
So i hope it doesnt get much worse, where people start fleeing the cities, invading local farms and ranches.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you. I'm watching events in my neck of the woods. We have similar situations with hurricane evacuations. Being in between the large cities, just off the evacuation routes. People going both ways with no clue of what to do.

A lot of stupid people out there.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

When people get scared they can do stupid things and People are getting scared.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

Please don't take this as "self righteous claptrap", for I'm just as big a sinner as most who occupy a "pew" or bar stool, but people are scared and can do irrational things to relieve their tension. Most of us here are well armed to take care of most criminal altercations; however, we also have a chance to lend a helping hand to those that are at terrible risk such as: the elderly that are sick, young families who can't support their families at this time from a home job (or computer), people who need gun training (or game meat) who bought guns out of panic without gun skills. etc.

When this is all over, we "gun nuts" and "loonies" will have more credibility than the "gas lighting" media. If we consider our "panicked" relatives, neighbors, and friends as potential allies in the overall fight for our rights and freedom rather than pathetic liberal neighbors we only slightly tolerate we might win. We could have a positive effect on the outcome on getting our country back from this "crisis insanity". We might even cause a few of these new gun owners to rationalize what the 2A is all about. If you can't get a new church member, you might at least get a new NRA (or other pro 2A organization) member; for if one figures out what the Constitution is based on, one might win on both counts. My .02
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Jeff H »

Good grief! Here we go again.

During the last long shortage, it occurred to me that it's not the threat itself, which causes the panic, about which we have to worry - but the people who panic. There weren't even any recommended restrictions in place yet when I first found the TP aisle in WM COMPLETELY empty.

If people act like this over measures taken to keep a situation from getting really bad, how will they act if/when it GETs really bad?

Anybody remember the last TP shortage? Early seventies - '72 or '73? He made a satirical comment regarding a TP shortage during the "gas shortage." THAT caused the last TP shortage.

If I could (translated: felt like fiddling with the stupid phone) I'd do a video showing you guys how they showed me how to "wipe" using just one square of "John Wayne" TP out of a C-rat carton in the Army forty-some years ago.

I never actually tried it.
mad trapper
Supporter
Supporter

Post by mad trapper »

Last week i went out for milk and bread at the nearest walmart.
I walked by the ammo counter, just to see what is trending.
walked by the (toilet paper guard) on the way, guy said he was so tired that he was about to fall over.
only rifle ammo in the glass case was 6.5 creedmore, .243, .270, 45-70.
I have never seen 30-30 ammo disappear.

I figured i better get out of the store before a bunch of big mommas started beating me over the head for my one small pack of TP.

I remember the old c-rations we were issued when i was a paratrooper.
They had everything you would need while in the field.
They had the little pack of TP, instant coffee, salt,sugar, pepper, creamer i think, matches, etc.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

mad trapper wrote:Last week i went out for milk and bread at the nearest walmart.
walked by the (toilet paper guard) on the way, guy said he was so tired that he was about to fall over.

I figured i better get out of the store before a bunch of big mommas started beating me over the head for my one small pack of TP.

They had the little pack of TP, instant coffee, salt,sugar, pepper, creamer i think, matches, etc.

and a four pack of smokes, usually Lucky strikes (enemy could smell them for at least a mile) or Kools. And musn't forget the little "cookie" that you could use as a base for a hammer and punch situation.

Not really thinking about the situation going on I was on-line looking to buy a couple more 100 count boxes each of Hornady XTP bullets in 185 and 200 grain. Nadda, nowhere, gone. (that was quick, I just bought some a couple weeks ago) I'm sure that somewhere out there someone is sitting on 10,000 boxes of XTP bullets "just in case", or they'll be on Gunbroker for 100 bucks a box. So I will assume all other components will be the same. Disgusting.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I wanted some 250 FTX for my 450 Bush Master. Still developing loads and none to be had locally. Got 2 boxes of 50 from Midway. Ordered last evening shipped today, but the spare magazine that was on sale didn't ship with them. Maybe for the best I could see the bullet boxes bouncing around and messing up the magazine. Also order some more cast from Acme. So far I like their bullets, at least the 1895 45/70 likes them.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mad trapper
Supporter
Supporter

Post by mad trapper »

horseman wrote:
mad trapper wrote:Last week i went out for milk and bread at the nearest walmart.

and a four pack of smokes, usually Lucky strikes (enemy could smell them for at least a mile) or Kools. And musn't forget the little "cookie" that you could use as a base for a hammer and punch situation.

Not really thinking about the situation going on I was on-line looking to buy a couple more 100 count boxes each of Hornady XTP bullets in 185 and 200 grain. Nadda, nowhere, gone. (that was quick, I just bought some a couple weeks ago) I'm sure that somewhere out there someone is sitting on 10,000 boxes of XTP bullets "just in case", or they'll be on Gunbroker for 100 bucks a box. So I will assume all other components will be the same. Disgusting.
Graf has a few things.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/se ... TP+bullets

I remember the c-ration crackers, and a chocolate bar, sometimes.
The canned fruitcake that you would get sometimes, make a good rock for hitting someone in the head
mad trapper
Supporter
Supporter

Post by mad trapper »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I wanted some 250 FTX for my 450 Bush Master. Still developing loads and none to be had locally. Got 2 boxes of 50 from Midway. Ordered last evening shipped today, but the spare magazine that was on sale didn't ship with them. Maybe for the best I could see the bullet boxes bouncing around and messing up the magazine. Also order some more cast from Acme. So far I like their bullets, at least the 1895 45/70 likes them.

Make smoke,
Are these it O3W.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/se ... =+250+FTX+

Return to “Topic Bucket”