Auto Drum With Rifle Cases

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Auto Drum With Rifle Cases

Post by Ranch Dog »

I continue to work at setting up dedicated drums for all my rifles, and I'm very pleased with the way the Auto Drum is delivering the charges. Last night I loaded case for my 35-30, only 22 but I took a couple of pictures of how I verify the charges using the Safety Scale. For starters, I have the scale marked with 1/2 & 1-grain marks but always check it with check weights for the desired charge (the larger picture).

Before starting, I check the charge dropped, and then I check it again after five charges have been dropped. After that, I check it every after every 10th charge until I'm done reloading. The additional pictures within the image show that what I have seen, next to no variation.

I'm doing it all on the press; sizing die with an expander specific to the bullet so that I don't need a separate expander die and priming with the Safety Prime. A have a custom Factory Crimp Die on order for the 35-30 and use the CH-4D seating die to seat and crimp in a single step in the all the brass is trimmed exactly the same length.
Michael
Joisey

Re: Auto Drum With Rifle Cases

Post by Joisey »

Have you tried the auto drum with the 22 Hornet? I just bought an Auto Drum measure and the spring seems a bit stiff. I understand it guarantees the return of the drum, especially with stick style powder, but the spring seems like lawyer overkill. I'm wondering if it would distort the Hornet case from pressure?

I just picked up a softer spring today at the hardware store. I'll post something when I see how it works.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Joisey wrote:Have you tried the auto drum with the 22 Hornet? I just bought an Auto Drum measure and the spring seems a bit stiff. I understand it guarantees the return of the drum, especially with stick style powder, but the spring seems like lawyer overkill. I'm wondering if it would distort the Hornet case from pressure?

I just picked up a softer spring today at the hardware store. I'll post something when I see how it works.
I use the AD with the 218 Bee and have had no problems. Just don't overwork a single case during the setup. With bottlenecked cartridges, I will use a single case about three times during the setup and then get another out of the pile.

Straight walled cartridges that are going through a Powder Through Expander die need to be resized and re-expanded for every cycle of the Auto Drum during setup or the dispenser will progressively drop smaller charges and you will find yourself constantly adjusting it a facet at a time. If you don't adhere to this procedure, the first time a "clean" case is run through the measure it will be overcharged.

I'm going to stick with the stock spring, I think it needs it with the tension needed to prevent the drum from sticking or leaking.
Michael
Joisey

Post by Joisey »

I'll give the measure a try with the stock spring and the Hornet cases. If there is no problem, I'll let it stay as it. The other spring cost less than $2.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:Straight walled cartridges that are going through a Powder Through Expander die need to be resized and re-expanded for every cycle of the Auto Drum during setup or the dispenser will progressively drop smaller charges and you will find yourself constantly adjusting it a facet at a time. If you don't adhere to this procedure, the first time a "clean" case is run through the measure it will be overcharged.
Thanks. Now I feel dumb but enlightened.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Straight walled cartridges that are going through a Powder Through Expander die need to be resized and re-expanded for every cycle of the Auto Drum during setup or the dispenser will progressively drop smaller charges and you will find yourself constantly adjusting it a facet at a time. If you don't adhere to this procedure, the first time a "clean" case is run through the measure it will be overcharged.
Thanks. Now I feel dumb but enlightened.
Don't feel dumb, I've learned this but have to constantly remind myself of this.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

We can only keep learning, only the ignorant refuse to learn.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”