Perfect Powder measure on a LM

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Perfect Powder measure on a LM

Post by horseman »

Without adding more to Ranch Dogs Auto Drum thread, but in conjunction with it, thought I would start this new one even though I want it to kinda coincide with that one because he/we were also discussing the PPM in comparison. (whew that was a long sentence) I know he was discussing the PPM on the LCT using the rifle charge die and I'm testing it on the Load Master utilizing the Universal charge die to case activate it like you would a Disc measure. Short version, using H335 and 556 cases, quickly set the measure using the cc for 25gr (just wanted close) and it threw 25.8gr. Ran several cases full and emptied them back in the container, then ran 20 rounds, measured each on my RCBS Rangemaster electronic scale. Most were 25.8gr with a very few at 25.7 gr. never varied more than that. I know I need to do a lot more than 20 for a "real" test but it does show promise. This setup (die and measure) came with a used LM I bought a year or so ago, but I never used this setup. But with the AD acting up (for me anyway) thought I would try it. I must admit it took me awhile to set it up as it is a bit "different" and I'm not really familiar with the Universal die with the brass inserts. (used the wrong one first because the instructions that come with the die are lacking IMO) I know Lee doesn't sell the LM set up for rifle calibers like this anymore, fact I'm not sure they still carry the Universal Charge die or not. (I have two of them) but it seems to me to be a viable option if needed.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Perfect Powder measure on a LM

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for the report. This is going to be my choice for the 7.62x39 setup on my Load-Master as I will have a PPM dedicated to the turret and will not want to remove it. Lee did discontinue this charging die set with the introduction of the Auto Drum. I bought the dies when I heard this and later found out that I already had one in storage. That's how I roll.

Just to avoid confusion for those not familiar with this discontinued die set and its purpose, here are two images that might help. As Horseman explained, it is used to mount the PPM on the Load-Master or Pro 1000 and uses a beaded chain to return the drum to the fill position.
Universal Powder Charging Die 90273.jpg
Universal Powder Charging Die 90273 Instructions.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”