Auto Drum flaring cases too much

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Auto Drum flaring cases too much

Post by Ranch Dog »

leadslinger wrote:That's a shame, because I really like its accuracy and consistency. I was never happy with the Auto Disk's lack of accuracy and consistency.
From the runs I've made with the Auto Drum against the Auto Disk, the results of ES & SD are the same. Against the Perfect Powder Measure the Auto Drum looses.
Michael
leadslinger

Post by leadslinger »

Lee makes some really great presses and dies, but their powder measures are a bit lacking. That PPM is probably great, but I don't see any way to use it with the powder through dies on a turret or a Pro 1000.

I'm thinking about spending a bit more money and trying the "H" word :lol: powder measure.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

That's me it looks over whelming to me I like how simple the redding ones seem to be from my reading of them but real hands on says a lot. I hate to admit it though I haven't messed with them.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Looks like I'm the odd man out on this subject. My AD works well with Lee powder thru expander dies. Not only that but for the powders I am using is very consistent. I only use it on my non Lee progressive.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

I will only use RCBS or Hornady measures the type that are in this picture.

I now have the Hornady measure with the small drum for pistol and the RCBS measure with the large drum for rifle. They both set on Hornady case activated hardware. I also flare in station 2 before adding powder.

I also just use powders that measure at least + or - one tenth, most are closer.
PdrMes.jpg
Edit: I should of added that I don't use the chain for positive return anymore. It is an old picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I know we've gone through the Auto Drum measure's at length and with the one I have I'm of the same mind as Ranch Dog. Just hasn't been "consistent" for me. On the other hand I'll stick to the Pro Disc measures on my LM's as I've had nothing but good results from them for years. I mostly just use them for handgun loads on the progressive's but I'm going to set up one of the LM"s to try loading 223 progressively, but I'll use the PPM with the universal charging die with it. I'm setting up an RCBS X die so after initial case prep it "should" be just "clean and load"...We'll see. Sounds good in theory anyway... :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

leadslinger wrote:That PPM is probably great, but I don't see any way to use it with the powder through dies on a turret or a Pro 1000.
You can actually use the PPM on the Pro 1000 or the Load-Master, there is a charging die set that was discontinued when the Auto Drum was introduced. The kit uses a return chain, just like it does for the Auto or Pro Auto Disk. I plan on using it with the 7.62x39 on the Load-Master. The kits can still be found on ebay.

Here is the topic: Perfect Powder measure on a LM

On the turret, I'm using the PPM with a Gun Guides Adaptor. You still must manually actuate the case drop but that is more than fine with me as it save a lot of hard to replace brass.
Michael
leadslinger

Post by leadslinger »

Problem Solved!!! :t

Steve

Post by Steve »

I use the same Hornady setup for pistols on the Loadmaster.

The shell holder tubes on the case feeder can be lengthened as follows:

1. cut four 3 inch lengths of tubing from a spare case holder tube.

2. Slide short piece of tubing 1 1/2 inch onto case tube you have on loader.

3. Slide desired additional length of case holder tubing into remaining 1 1/2 inch tubing until it buts against long tubing.

4. Rap the splice with tape overlapping onto long tube.

5. I also cut the powder hopper shorter on mine.
PdrMes2.jpg
I order just the base to the Hornady linkage, and use the same measure for other calibers. It is only around 30 bucks. heighth adjustment for flare has to be made with that base on additional calibers to avoid changing linkage on each one. Then all it is is the thumb screw and return spring to use the same measure for multiple caliber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leadslinger

Post by leadslinger »

I was thinking about how I was going to keep that powder measure from interfering with the case feeder. Good idea.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”