Auto Drum Setup

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Auto Drum Setup

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd like to know more about a case activated Uniflow.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now horseman don't bust my belief bubble that a successful powder drop revolves around a roll of the dice, moon phase, chanting with a chicken foot in hand, and other cool stuff!

Even though I'm now a drum guy, I plan on keeping one sample of both the Auto-Disk and Pro Auto-Disk. Both will be my oldest as they brought me a long way.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'd like to know more about a case activated Uniflow.

Well, they ain't "cheap" by any means if bought stand alone. I recall a couple old RCBS Ammomaster presses I had back a while that came with Uniflow measures on them but that was before the "new" case activated linkage (which is the same as the Hornady case activation) was available. To convert those over from the original "swinging pendulum of Death" system they came with, was 85 bucks each for the "new" linkage. The cost today I have no idea, or if you can purchase a Uniflow in that configuration or if you'd have to purchase each (powder measure PLUS linkage) by themselves. The latest one I have came on my Pro 2000 press. It's exactly the same as the converted ones I had before. Look at the Hornady LNL progressive and you'll see how the system works as it's exactly the same as the RCBS. Another change RCBS did (Hornady had already done this) was to FINALLY come out with caliber specific inserts for the Uniflow for case neck expansion. Lee was (I believe, first I saw or used anyway) the first to have a PTX die where with RCBS you always had to have a flaring die BEFORE the powder measure so you "lost" a station on your press. The RCBS flaring die is an excellent tool (as well is the PTX inserts that go in the powder measure, ala Lee) as it's flare part is very similar to the Lyman M die, so now, like the Lee PTX, you can flare the case and drop powder at the same time. Those inserts have actually been out for a few years but I'm surprised at the number of folks that still don't know about them. They know about the Hornady yes, RCBS no. Anyways, enough about RCBS, let's get back to the Auto Drum. I still have "mixed" emotions about getting another one......I'm going to get another one but I have little faith.... +corn

Michael, you KNOW that all those things you mention about powder drops are factual.... :lol: I've read way, way, to many posts on what some do (and believe are necessary) to get their powder measures to "drop" consistently accurate charges. I find some quite amusing and if I had to go through some of those "rituals" I believe I'd just "drop, weigh and trickle" everything as I'm sure I'd forget one (or more) of the intricate steps.... :lol:
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

It's amazing when so many people are happy with their Auto Drums that we focus on the few problem ones. I just googled and found several forums where people complained about problems with their Uniflows. The fact is there will always be people who either get the lemon or will have problems that others don't experience. All of us are familiar with the Lee bashers; yet we continue to have success.

Ranch Dog has stated that he owns "five" Auto Drums that all operate at 100% and without leakage. I own three and have overall been very pleased. And if you do have a problem Lee is more than happy to address it.

Since the Auto Drum and the Uniflow both have users with some complaints, I think I'd rather have $40 invested and not $140 (w/case-activated linkage) invested in a powder measure, but that's just me. In Ranch Dog's case that would be $200 invested and not $700. For that difference I don't mind washing a hopper in Dawn or buying a tube of graphite or gun grease if necessary. I use those products anyway. I always love a bargain and I think everyone here does as well. For me Lee is synonymous with good value and the Auto Drum is but one such example. :D
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Now if they'd just bring it as a bench top hand actuated model.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Actually they have in the new Lee Deluxe powder measure. It uses drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

EdgeOfEden wrote:I always love a bargain and I think everyone here does as well. For me Lee is synonymous with good value and the Auto Drum is but one such example. :D
Well said. When Lee delivered a product that could charge a 25 Auto case with no deviation, they had me. The big stuff is easy, the little stuff separates them all.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Uniflow was free, I ain't spending that much on more parts for it. Now that I got the tedius set up on the Lee AD done, I'm going to order a bunch of stuff to fill up several turrets.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:My Uniflow was free, I ain't spending that much on more parts for it. Now that I got the tedius set up on the Lee AD done, I'm going to order a bunch of stuff to fill up several turrets.
Okay "AD" has stood for Auto-Disk for years so do you me that or the Auto-Drum (ADum)? ;)
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:My Uniflow was free, I ain't spending that much on more parts for it. Now that I got the tedius set up on the Lee AD done, I'm going to order a bunch of stuff to fill up several turrets.
Okay "AD" has stood for Auto-Disk for years so do you me that or the Auto-Drum (ADum)? ;)
Maybe it should be ADk and ADm now. Oh, PADk for the Pro. :shock:
Michael

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”