Lee Classic Powder Measure

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee Classic Powder Measure

Post by daboone »

I've always been a fan of the PPM after learning to lap the drums mating surface. So I got the new Lee Classic PM as soon as it came out. It is an outstanding PM.
The upgrade on the Classic PM I appreciate the most is the "Metering Chamber". The Classic PM's is significantly more robust and easier to read and set. Both the PPM and this Classic allows the use of VDM. Using VDM values there is very little fiddling around to find the measurement you want to set. So it is faster to set up and use than anybody else measure I've used. Other measures require you to do several repeat adjustments till the measurement is correct. Of course once set the micrometer adjustment can be repeated but getting to that setting takes more time than with the Classic PM. The Classic PM is metering drum micrometer is, as said, much easier to read and set than the PPM.

Other things I really like about the Classic PM are; 1) its consistency even with extruded/stick powders, 2) its sturdy and smooth action throughout dispensing a powder, 3) No need to lap the drum.

The only negative is its price compared to the PPM. I not replacing my PPMs but I sure glad I got my Classic on my bench too.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Classic Powder Measure

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the review!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

It looks like The Classic PM has been discontinued. It was replaced by the Deluxe PPM. This new replacement has all the features of Classic but is of cast zinc. The brass drum is reduced in size to allow for the use of the Quick Change Drums and a reduced price of about $43.00 at Titan.

It appears I now have a collector's item. ;) I'm not to concerned because I really REALLY like and enjoy using my Classic as it is super simple to set the micrometer to a new or previous volume.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

How about that, I see what you are talking about. # 90868 has been discontinued. Too bad Lee is getting away from cc metering.

As I mentioned in another topic, I have become an Auto Drum guy. Most of my load working days are over, and I'm dealing with established loads, so I set the drum and leave it. There is nothing handy about the Auto Drum when it comes to changing loads, absolutely nothing. Lee could drop the "Precision" out of their name as far as setting this product up is concerned. The quickest I've been able to set up a drum is by using a dipper powder sample as close to the desired load as possible. Then you must twist and check until you happen upon it. I've given up counting facets; it's flawed. Once it's set, it stays there but getting there is an issue. For sure it is going to cost you a cartridge case to set any load.

I have two of the original Perfect Powder Measures; I won't replace them with anything. The are incredibly accurate and hit the load spot on when using VMD.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I also love my 2 PPMs but this Classic PM is a fantastic upgraded PPM. Kind of like the difference between the old style Lee turret and the CCT. Apparently this new Deluxe PPM still has the benefits of the Classic PM by retaining the vastly improved micrometer but will also accommodate the use of the QuICK Change Drums if desired. Like you I'm not a fan of getting these quick change drums set. It take a LOT of fiddling adjustments to get them set. Once set they do hold that setting. As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't use them in my Classic PM even if I could. The CC calibrated micrometer is just to dang convenient and easy to set.

As mentioned this new improved CC micrometer on both the discontinued Classic PM and the brand new DELUXE PPM is really the single best improvement. Of course these two PMs also come with the brass drum which absolutely does not require any elbow grease and valve grinding compound to get it to stop leaking. I'm my opinion the
PPM family of powder measures are the best of all the various measures marketed today. That is why I have 2 PPM, a Classic and the Auto Drum. 8-)

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:How about that, I see what you are talking about. # 90868 has been discontinued. Too bad Lee is getting away from cc metering.
Studying this further, the last of my statement is incorrect. I thought the Deluxe did not use the metering rod but it does. Like you note, the main difference is the ability of the Deluxe to accept the drums. The price seems to be quite a bit less. The Classics that are available are running $75. The Deluxe at Titan is $43, they don't offer the Perfect.

Okay, like I said I love my PPMs but at that price, I'm gonna try the Deluxe.
Michael
Joisey

Post by Joisey »

I just bought a new classic powder measure (90868) from Cheaper Than Dirt. $59.95, free shipping
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

+corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I was incorrect about the Classic PM not excepting the drums. Like the Deluxe it does. Sorry about that misinformation. On the other hand I don't use any in my Classic PM. It's simply the easiest measure I've used to set up and get into action (and I have 7 different types of powder measures). The metering micrometer is based on the VMD of powders. It's as accurate plus it's easier and faster than the Harrells.

My personal use of this measure is it is EXCEPTIONAL across a wide range of powders.

Joisey

Post by Joisey »

The Classic Powder measure that I ordered arrived this morning in a sealed box. I think they went a bit cheap on the crank handle plate.

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”