Powder Measure Performance Expectations

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Powder Measure Performance Expectations

Post by daboone »

I've got a collection of at lest 11 different powder measures. I know, I know I'm weird. :roll:

I've also spend a lot of time learning or maybe obsessing about what makes them work and what doesn't. Each one has powders it like and dislikes. IMO each powder has behaviors that require the user to learn in order to get consistant results. Here are some of the things I've learned.

1- No PM is perfect for all powders. Not even powders in the same category, ie., ball, flatten ball, flake, stick or extruded.

2- The method of obtaining consistency for one specific PM may or may not work on another. That said being consistant is absolutely the key once you've tamed the specific measure which includes learning #1 above. So Do Not think just because you got a popular brand or the most expensive it will give you consistant measurements for you favorite powder.

3- Humidity does make a difference all be it slight. (This is based on Arizona humidity.)

4- Room temperatures changes can make a difference in the volume dispensed as the PM expands or contracts. Most of the time it really doesn't make a critical difference unless at max loads or bunny gun loads where it's easy to get to max loads.

5- If like me you have and use different measures keep records of what powder it likes and dislike. Stuff whether trapping or baffles are useful. Also fill times are important for some measures especially when switching to a different powder.

6.-Consistent results does not mean perfect. +/- .1 or 2 grains is consistant. For long extruded/stick powders +/- .3 is not only good but you probably will not see a difference on the target.

7- if it is absolutely necessary to do max loads trickle up the loads on a scale or use an electronic powder dispenser.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Powder Measure Performance Expectations

Post by bayou »

Very good listing, Dan.

For myself, I've only ever had one powder dispenser, that being the RCBS Uniflow of 1979 vintage. I can offer a couple of observations using this dispenser based on experience:

Of the three shapes of powders, granular/ball, rod or flake, it's no surprise that granular/ball produces the most consistent throws. However, when throwing flake or rod powders, more consistent throws are obtained using the small volume cylinder (charges of 50 grains and under, if that is applicable) rather than the large volume cylinder. When throwing smaller pistol loads of flake powder with the large volume cylinder, powder "bridging" occurs from time to time whereas this does not occur with the small volume cylinder. When I bought my Uniflow, it came with both large and small cylinders, but I've heard that the new models only come with one cylinder, and the other has to be separately purchased.

Additionally, I've found that keeping the hopper well filled with powder seems to put a bit more downward pressure on the powder as it flows into the cylinder which results in a bit more consistent throws as well.

Just a couple of observations....

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great post guys!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Bayou, yep you pointed out a very obvious one about keeping the hopper at least 3/4 full. The other will send me back to so some testing about the difference in volume cylinders. I never considered that as a possibility. Is that listed in the instruction or did you discover this yourself? Mine has 2 cylinders. All of my PMs are used except for the Lee. Actually the Lee measures are the most used on my bench. Especially the Lee Classic (now called the Deluxe) That PM is so user friendly if you do the VDM method. It take much less time to set the desired weight dispensed. The Classic or Deluxe is just a beefed up PPM with a much more precise and easier to use micrometer.
Thank you for add these suggestions to the list.

While on the subject has anyone added one of those weighted gadgets that sit inside the hopper? I've seen them on ebay? I love to hear any user comments.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

Hi, Dan -

I use a lot of 700-X flake powder for pistols. Charges range from 2.7 for 380 to 5.7 for 357 and everything in between.

When I purchased the Uniflow back in the late 70's, I just installed the large volume cylinder not knowing there would be a difference. Using the large volume cylinder over the years, my small throws were very inconsistent with flake powders causing me to weigh each charge. Also, in charges under 3 grains or so, the powder throws were commonly bridged, or clumped up.

I did some searching and saw where posters were having the same issues. One poster made the remark about using the small cylinder for smaller charges of flake powder. I had the small cylinder, so I installed it. There was a day and night difference - consistent throws and no bridging of the powder.

I'm wondering if you'll have similar results, Dan. Perhaps you can let us know...

All the Best -

Bayou

PS - I've never tried the powder baffle or similar gadget...
bayou
NRA Life Member
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

No I never thought of switching cylinders but I will as I get back in town. I have experienced bridging is several measures. Mostly with flakes and longer extruded powders like IMR4350. Interestingly with long stick powders the felt cutting by most PM only intermittently causes problems but not every time. Can't figure out why it's hit or miss.

Powder baffles have also baffled me as to why they help some PMs and not other with similar designs.

I hope this discussion helps other spend some serious time experimenting and learning how and what makes their measures work or fail with various powders. I know there isn't a single perfect PM out there from my limited testing of the 11 I have. I do like my Lee PMs but they aren't suitable for all my favorite powders. If budget restrict someone to just one PM then learning what powders it will be consistent with not only important but will save having pounds of unused powders on a shelf. Personally I chose the Lee Deluxe.

I have used baffles in every PM I have

Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I still have and use exclusively my PPM for all rifle loading. Over the years I have gotten so used to it my technique is now mostly down to muscle memory. As you know, consistency in working the lever is critical to getting consistent throws. Some tap the measure on both the up and down strokes. I only tap on the down but allow the handle to hit the stop on the upstroke. The other advantage I have found in sticking to the one measure is that I can pretty much guess how much to turn the adjustment to go up a grain or two when working up a new load especially with the powders I regularly use. I stuff a sheet of fabric softener in the measure when finished a session to help prevent static. I have only had 2-3 bridging episodes both with big stick powder like IMR7828. Of course powder is never left in the measure even if I am just taking a short break. I live in a pretty humid environment. I can't confirm that affects the powder but it is a good habit to develop if just for safety purposes.

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”