Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Post by horseman »

I started using the PPM a short time back to deliver powder for my 45 Super loads as I batch load them on a single stage press trying to be uber precise. I weigh each charge. :geek: . I've lapped the drum and it throws consistent charge weights, however I'm getting minor leaking issues using finer powders as in AA#7. It's not an excessive amount by any means but after doing 50 rounds of powder drops there is a small amount of "dusting" on my bench under the measure. The powder is coming from the drop tube as it doesn't seem to fit the flared case mouth of the 45acp brass well at all. I can feel the powder hitting my hand holding the case as I rotate the handle. My issue is coming up with a "better" drop tube for this thing. Any ideas?

I could just use a funnel in the case mouth and drop into that but would like to figure a better way.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Post by larryw »

????? How about opening the drop tube mouth up just s bit go accept the flared case or, slip a piece
of some sort of tubing over the drop tube??
Believe I would just open up the flair on the inside of the tube just a bit to better accept the flared case
then it would still accept other cases ?????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

larryw wrote:????? How about opening the drop tube mouth up just s bit go accept the flared case or, slip a piece
of some sort of tubing over the drop tube??
Believe I would just open up the flair on the inside of the tube just a bit to better accept the flared case
then it would still accept other cases ?????

Thought about that. I know most that read this post are thinking, dummy, why not just drop the charge into the pan if you're weighing each one anyway. Did that at first but had a bit of powder "migration" (as in some times my hands don't seem to want to do what I want them to) so went to dropping into the case. I'm over thinking this. I'll just go to the Load Master and just run as singles. Problem solved.... :geek: But some times a guy just likes to use his single stage presses. :)
larryw

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote:[quote=" But some times a guy just likes to use his single stage presses. :)
You wouldn't happen to be talking about that Classic Cast are you ??
Yup!!! You are!!!! Jerk :D :D :D
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I paid $5 for a part, Lee sent the rest for free after the SUPER HIGH shipping of $16 to fix my Cast Lee O-press, and the broken stuff I sent Lee for evaluation on 11-25 is still "in transit, arriving late" for a location. At least my single is running again the LCT can't use the RCBS swager.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Although I don't load routine handgun loads on the single stage I use it for all rifle loading and for handgun load development. I drop from the PPM into a 30-06 case, pour into the scale pan on the scale, trickle up and then use the powder funnel to drop the charge into the case. I have no leaks either on the turret Autodisk or using the method described for the single stage. I have had a very few instances of bridging on the PPM especially with longer extruded powders like IMR 7828. Never the less, I am a happy PPM owner
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I think horseman's leak is around the drum/frame fit. I have lapped my PPM drum but even still some fine powders (WC 820!) still leak out around the drum. I guess I'm easy going and after I played with the drum/frame fit and tightened the drum screw, the "leak" ain't no big deal to me (IIRC my C-H 502 also dribbles a bit of WC820). I just place a sheet of notebook paper under the PPM and catch the "leakage". Even with the leakage of the very fine powders, my PPM functions, is as consistent as my $$$ green powder measure
larryw

Post by larryw »

mikld wrote:. Even with the leakage of the very fine powders, my PPM functions, is as consistent as my $$$ green powder measure
+1

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”