Lee Classic Powder Measure

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
jmortimer
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Lee Classic Powder Measure

Post by jmortimer »

Have had the new Lee classic Powder Measure for a few weeks now, and I like it just fine. Got the new stand as well. I recommend it if you are looking for a new powder measure.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Classic Powder Measure

Post by daboone »

Jmoritmer I think I "met" you over on Bear Tooth Shooter's forum where you've been a member for years. Glad to see you adding your thoughts here on Ranch Dog's Forum.

As I recall you were thinking about getting the Classic PM so I'm glad you like it now that you did. I alway found the PPM to be excellent for stick powders so when they announced this new Classic and wanting another solid extruded PM I jumped on it as soon as it became available. It turned out to be more versatile in it's powder handling of ball and flake powders which made me very pleased with it performance.

I didn't get the stand for it. I have a iron flat bar sticking out from a shelf on my bench for hanging other PM hang off of. I just drilled a hole in the end of that bar for mounting it. Works for me. ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
jmortimer
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by jmortimer »

"Bear Tooth Shooter's forum where you've been a member for years."

Yes indeed.

"I didn't get the stand for it. I have a iron flat bar sticking out from a shelf on my bench for hanging other PM hang off of. I just drilled a hole in the end of that bar for mounting it."

The Lee stand is something you would expect fro Lee. It is utilitarian. The stands for my Uniflow and Redding powder measures are cast iron whereas the Lee is steel and in certain respects better. A good design, and again, very much "Lee Like." I like your idea of a flat iron bar. Far cheaper and I bet it works real good.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
Patriot007
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Patriot007 »

Hey, my classic powder measure was just delivered to day. I am mainly reloading 223s with it. Do yall have any do's and don'ts with this unit? I ordered the lee stand for it and the quick change drum set for it but they want be delivered until Monday. It's my early 51st b_day present to my self. Any info will be helpful.
Thank you.

+corn +corn +corn
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Well I think it's important to take it apart, wash it with dish detergent and dry it. I personally sprinkled the mating surfaces with graphite powder. Then I just played with its operation with one hopper full of Bullseye and another with H4895 (my favorite 30/06, 7.62x54 & 39, 223R and several other rifles as well). By doing this I got a good feel for its action and movement with a fine and course powders. Then I got serious and started weighting groups of 10 different weights and powders to see just how accurate it is dispensing. I'm sure I posted my results somewhere.

So in reality the best recommendation I can suggest is get yourself familiar with how it works,feels and sounds and a sustainable consistent rhythm. I'm sure you already know all this but I like to sound like I know what I'm doing. :roll: :o

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Chickenthief »

As with the PPM it will undoubtedly gain from a powder baffle.

Here is a drawing i made you can print to scale and cut a baffel from cardboard to clambshell plastic, alu or whatever you fancy.
79mm=3.11"

daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Check the link below for many sizes of baffles for many popular measures. It downloads a PDF file put together by a gentleman who go by Uncle Nick with "Explicit Instructions".

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachm ... 1288932878

Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Thanks, jmortimer, daboone and Chickentheif for your valuable info. To day my Quick change drums came in and I'm trying to get some time to my self to play with my new tools and it just has not happen yet. If its not the wife and kids its the freaken neighbors. The quick change drums look pretty interesting, if only they work like their suppose to that will be a God sent blessing. So the baffle system is suppose to wok well with this
set up. I tried this baffle from uncle mike's sight a while back on my pro auto disk measure with Tite Group and I really didn't notice any advantage with that powder. I will be using IMR 4198 in this measurer so with it being an extruded powder it might make a big difference with the hopper feed. Keep in mind now, that I am just getting into loading 223s or rifle any thing. <LOL> I've got the 45 acp down pat on my Load Master thanks to you guys and this forum, don't let me get a way with out mentioning Ranch Dog, Steve and Bee- keeper, and many others. Its looking like it will be tomorrow before I get to play with it. I will be sure to wash it with soapy water and I do have some graphite grease some where here in my arsenal and I will follow through with yaws advice. The powder hopper is the same as my pro auto disk hopper and I still have the template I made a while back and I will install it in the hopper. You would think that there would be several videos on you tube about this powder measure. All I've found are from lee, so this unit hasn't been out long. May be you guys should post one, it would be a big help to us newbies. Thank you again for your input, and if there is any thing else you can add to this topic please do :!: :!: :!:
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

This link is another on the Classic PM: http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=879 It has some of the measurements I've done during testing.

DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

What I'm wondering is if you can pull parts of the new Auto Drum and put them on the new Classic powder measure. I bet it would rock on a progressive or turret press.

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”