700x through a PPM

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
f100cleveland
My Press Choice: Single Stage

700x through a PPM

Post by f100cleveland »

Tried to get a constant even throw of 4.6gr and ended up with loads from 3.9 to 5.1gr. It works ok with Unique that looks simular. I have had it apart and lapped it and has been ok with most powder but this was way off. I have used the 700x before for a couple 38sp loads but never have liked the results. Is this one of those powders the PPM doesn't like?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 700x through a PPM

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm not sure there are any powder measures that get along with 700x.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

I think 700X is a fantastic powder. Used it for .38 spec. I used it with a dipper only to fill the scale cup to the correct weight.
I found it kind of a break in routine doing it that way.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

Poppop wrote:I think 700X is a fantastic powder. Used it for .38 spec. I used it with a dipper only to fill the scale cup to the correct weight.
What were the bullet weights and grs that worked in your 38sp with 700x. I shoot alot of 148wc or 158swc. I'm running short on bullseye my favorite powder for wc but like HP-38 for other 38's and can find that around here yet.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

I use 700-X for 45acp, 38, 380 and 9mm. It's a fast powder and burns clean. I use a Uniflow dispenser, and 700-X does not throw consistently. I hand check each charge on the scale. I've done this so long, it's no big deal for me......

I use charges that are listed on the Hogdgon website:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

f100cleveland wrote:
Poppop wrote:I think 700X is a fantastic powder. Used it for .38 spec. I used it with a dipper only to fill the scale cup to the correct weight.
What were the bullet weights and grs that worked in your 38sp with 700x. I shoot alot of 148wc or 158swc. I'm running short on bullseye my favorite powder for wc but like HP-38 for other 38's and can find that around here yet.
I used 700X 3.1- 3.4 gr for .38 spec 158 gr LSWC. The 3.1gr was for my 3" J frame @10 yds and 3.3/3.4 for 4" K frame at 25 yds. Both with excellent results.
I've changed to Bullseye for my convenience with similar results.
I'm not getting the same results with HP-38, I only use it for 9mm.
P.S. A couple of years ago I found about 250 rds of .38 158 gr wad cutters that my uncle reloaded back in 1972-took them to the range and shot them with absolutely no problems-great grouping -- Bullseye is great
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I have a couple pounds of 700x left. I need to get some more. I use it for 1oz 12 gauge loads. It has always metered pretty well through my shot shell presses using bushings. Within a couple tenths anyway, and I'm not pushing them so that's good enough. I did load some 45 colts using it a long time ago, but I don't remember much about them, fact is I may still have them stuck in the back of the cabinet. Box of 100 if I recollect.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Horseman wrote:I have a couple pounds of 700x left. I need to get some more. I use it for 1oz 12 gauge loads. It has always metered pretty well through my shot shell presses using bushings. Within a couple tenths anyway, and I'm not pushing them so that's good enough. I did load some 45 colts using it a long time ago, but I don't remember much about them, fact is I may still have them stuck in the back of the cabinet. Box of 100 if I recollect.
I think it is probably time for you to dig those 45s out and shoot them. Let us know how they perform and what the load is.

Thanks,
Steve
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
Horseman wrote:I have a couple pounds of 700x left. I need to get some more. I use it for 1oz 12 gauge loads. It has always metered pretty well through my shot shell presses using bushings. Within a couple tenths anyway, and I'm not pushing them so that's good enough. I did load some 45 colts using it a long time ago, but I don't remember much about them, fact is I may still have them stuck in the back of the cabinet. Box of 100 if I recollect.
I think it is probably time for you to dig those 45s out and shoot them. Let us know how they perform and what the load is.

Thanks,
Steve

Agreed !!! +1 +guns +corn
Je suis Charlie
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

LOL, you guys got me to looking. Sure enough they're still there. The load is 6.5gr under a Lazer Cast 250gr bullet (boy it has been a long time as I haven't bought any of those for many years) New Winchester brass and Winchester LP primers. I believe these are the only handgun rounds I've ever loaded using 700X..sure can't think of any others. As far as shootin' em' up, +guns ..no problem, as soon as it stops snowing... :)

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”