Disk measure non-auto

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Disk measure non-auto

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Some place in my shot or vicinity I have a Lee disk powder measure that was set up for manual operation on a bench stand. I'm going to have to find it and get it set up since I'm getting ready to reload for the wife's P238 in 380 and I need something to throw little charges. I could use my manual drum measure but that's pretty much set up and devoted to black powder. I'm just wondering if the current crop of disks will work with this guy as I remember it had a rectangular powder resivour .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Disk measure non-auto

Post by daboone »

It will. It may not throw exactly the precise load your looking for. Take a look in your Lee Modern Reloading Manual. It will even tell you what disk will get you close. I don't load for 380 but I do for the 32acp and that's a smaller case and the auto disk works for me.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

daboone wrote:It will. It may not throw exactly the precise load your looking for. Take a look in your Lee Modern Reloading Manual. It will even tell you what disk will get you close. I don't load for 380 but I do for the 32acp and that's a smaller case and the auto disk works for me.
Thanks, if I find all the parts and pieces I may have to look into LMRM. For an assortment of reason I've never picked one up.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

What I have done is make a chart. I take any one of my powders, set up the pro auto-disk starting with a hole close to what the manual reads for the lowest charge. Run it thru the die a few times and then weigh it. Do this 2 or 3 times and then write down the weight. Do this for the next 2 larger holes then you will have written down, what hole number is needed for a certain weight of a particular powder. Do this for all your powders and calibers. I find it saves me an awful lot of time.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sounds like a plan. I managed to fine the box it was in got it out. I obviously had a double disk set at some point as I have 1 and 3/4 disk sets, but I haven't found the extension piece. So when I decide on powders for the 380 I'll run a series and see what I get.

Make smoke,
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well the smallest cavity is just a wee bit to large for my choice of powder and bullet (True Blue & 100gr Berry Plated). I know there are sets available or maybe single disks with smaller cavities or adjustable cavity, but I'm thinking I can take my extra "A" disk and drill and tap one or more of the cavities for either a 8x32 or 10x24 cap screw or maybe set screw and make it adjustable.

Has anyone tried this? Results? Pit falls?

Make smoke,
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

You can get blank ones. Drill one six barely different sizes and have a ladder load for one caliber.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Gas, I'll keep that in the list of possibilities, thanks.

Make smoke,
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

You might look at the Custom Cast Mini-Disk with Adjustable Set Points. The latter is an allen screw tapped into the cavity that allows you to fine tune the charge.

http://www.ezorchid.com/CustomCast/CustomCast.htm
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have the Custom Cast, Lee, and Titan Micro Disk but the Custom Cast with the set points for adjustment I mentioned above intrigues the heck out of me for my 25, 32, & 380 Auto so I went ahead and ordered one.
Michael

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”