Deluxe Powder Measure

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Deluxe Powder Measure

Post by Ranch Dog »

Most buyers probably need the stand (90587) as well so that puts the price right at $70 plus any shipping/taxes. The Classic would be pushing $100 with the stand for the average guy so I can see why the Deluxe would be favored.

The only place I could find the Classic was on eBay, didn't look real hard other than MidwayUSA & Titan, and the Classic "Buy Now" was $87 which included shipping.[hr][hr]The powder hopper fits the body of my measure rather loose, and I was a bit concerned about it departing the body if bumped.
DPPM_hopper_01.jpg
A half wrap of ½" masking tape cured the fit. I've started wrapping the lids of all my hoppers as well. Had never bumped a lid until recently, what a mess![hr][hr]I've found the drum knobs tough on my fumble fingers with both the Deluxe PPM and Auto Drum. I found these on Auto Drum Knobs on eBay by accident so I was obliged to give the entrepreneur my business.
Auto_Drum_Knobs.jpg
The knobs are printed with red material, I guess it used the green so they would show up better in the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Using the DPPM to set up the individual drum with the Auto Drum has been worth the entry price! If it isn't perfect when the drum is moved from the DPPM to the ADrum, it is within =/- 1 facet on the key.

If you're a VMD guy like I am, recording a VMD for every lot of powder you buy; the metering rod on the DPPM is the way to go.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote: If you're a VMD guy like I am, recording a VMD for every lot of powder you buy; the metering rod on the DPPM is the way to go.
This improved "metering rod" is even better than the Harrells micrometer because it reads in VMD and not by counting a number of clicks.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:...because it reads in VMD and not by counting a number of clicks.
I think you mean "cc" rather than "VMD".
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm coRnfused.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I stand corrected. But it sure works well if the VDM is to figure the CC.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Kind of got spooked about dumping a hopper full of powder just now, so I tried hoppers from both Auto Drums and they fit nice and tight. I assume the Body Valve, the black plastic valve that rotates for open & close, is under diameter. Knowing that Lee closes at 4, in a few minutes, I got on the phone with them and they are going to get a new valve on the way to me!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

So no more masking tape for a tighter friction fit?
Fortunately I haven't had that problem. The hopper lids on the other hand are all lose. So I started using a section of used dryer sheet under the lids. It added not only a better friction fit but reduced static cling on the hopper walls. In Arizona with humidity running from 10 to 20% it's an ongoing issue.

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I taped my Uniflow to keep the lid on.

Off topic
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just thought, why worry about it and for the price it should be right which Lee also felt. I've always wished that they could have molded a couple of small ears on the hopper and lid that would match for a quarter turn lock. It seems like that would be easy. In the meantime, I tape a band around the hopper like many others.
Michael

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”