Powder Funnel Isnt Big Enough!

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Powder Funnel Isnt Big Enough!

Post by 357cyrus »

Lastnight I was loading up some 480 Ruger rounds and discovered that the expanded brass doesnt fit into the Lee powder funnel! Since I was using my single stage press, had already expanded all my cases, and had already setup my seating die, the best solution at hand seemed to be to set the case down on the bench, set the expander die down on it, then put the powder funnel on top of the expander die and pour powder in that way. This process didn't really slow me down, but left me thinkin there's gotta be a better way to do it. Has anybody else shooting really big bores found a better funnel or some other solution?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Powder Funnel Isnt Big Enough!

Post by joec »

Well the largest thing I shoot is a 45-70 often using .459 dia bullets. I use the RCBS Cowboy dies and haven't had a problem with the Lee Funnel fitting but there are others. I think Lyman or RCBS build a funnel with various ends you might want to try. Now if you are using the Lee expander you might just put the funnel in the end of the die also, but not familiar with the 480 Ruger at all.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Powder Funnel Isnt Big Enough!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I only load on the turret so expand and charge the 480 Ruger cases at the same time.
Michael

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”