PPM on the Classic Turret?

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

PPM on the Classic Turret?

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Has anyone managed to make this work and be case activated? I bought the case activation die but it's for rifle only. I currently use the Pro Auto and while I'm happy enough with it I think the PPM would be even better with its ease of adjusting the powder volume. Yes I tried the Adjustable Charge Bar and while it kind of works I haven't found it to be as precise as the Pro Auto or PPM. I found an adapter that uses two o-rings to hold the PPM in the Lee powder die where the powder funnel would set. I've not order it as it would hold the PPM but would still require manual use of the PPM.

Unless there is some obvious reason I don't know I'm a little curious why Lee hasn't made this an option.

Any ideas or has anyone already succeeded at this?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: PPM on the Classic Turret?

Post by Ranch Dog »

My understanding is that turret presses just don't have the "horsepower" to throw and return the drum on the Perfect Powder Measure and I can see that in the operation of both. I do now have the "Perfect Adapter" and it works very well, although you still must actuate the lever. I don't mind, that is a lot of powder to drop at once when charging rifle cases.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I assume too many things. I thought if it has enough umf to work the Pro Auto then it would rotate the drum in the PPM.

I just purchased a second PPM so I don't have to unscrew the older one from its stand each time I want to use it. The new one is for trying to see if it will work on the Classic Turret for loading my bulk plinking .223 and .30-30 ammo. If at worst I have to manually throw the powder I think it will still be worth it to be able to dial in the powder for different loads.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I thought if it has enough umf to work the Pro Auto then it would rotate the drum in the PPM.
I think it would be more the length of the throw and resetting it.

Here is the PPM with the Perfect Adapter.
perfect_adpater.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have also recently bought the "Universal Charge Die" that is supposed to work one .218 Bee to .300 Win Mag.

http://leeprecision.com/universal-charging-die.html

That would seem it is rifle only and up to the Win Mag length. I need to process more .223 brass (deprime, tumble clean, FL size, clean, trim) and then I wanted to see if this would work for 55gr bulk .223 loads instead of using the Pro Auto. I have high hopes for this setup but I still wish it would work with handgun ammo as I load my bulk plinking .38 special on the Classic turret.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I load a lot of handgun cartridges every year, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8,000 to 10,000. I always use a single disk. That has been that has always provided the most consistent drop for my needs.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

The Pro Auto does an outstanding job of dropping the same volume of powder time and again and seems to work even better on the Classic turret. But the disks don't offer enough variation. I need to order a second Double Disk kit to see if I could stack a few different options if that might help dial in a volume with two smaller cavities rather than trying to find the next larger size only to find it's too much powder. Usually I'm loading with either HP-38 or Win 231 and I find too many times the disk doesn't have a cavity close enough for what I'm trying to do. I feel like using the PPM in the same way as the Pro Auto would eliminate this minor problem. And I hesitate to really call it a problem.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Maximumbob54 wrote:The Pro Auto does an outstanding job of dropping the same volume of powder time and again and seems to work even better on the Classic turret. But the disks don't offer enough variation. I need to order a second Double Disk kit to see if I could stack a few different options if that might help dial in a volume with two smaller cavities rather than trying to find the next larger size only to find it's too much powder. Usually I'm loading with either HP-38 or Win 231 and I find too many times the disk doesn't have a cavity close enough for what I'm trying to do. I feel like using the PPM in the same way as the Pro Auto would eliminate this minor problem. And I hesitate to really call it a problem.
Now the PPM will handle the HP-38 ans assume W 231 though I've never used it. The PPM leaks some with some really fine grain powders such as Unique or Bullseye. But then in my opinion they don't meter well with the disks either. This is especially true with small amounts such as with Bullseye though the old micro disk would get close. Both the Pro and PPM handle flake powders well but the stick powders not so much in the Pro but excellent in the PPM.
Joe
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

The Perfect Adapter came in and it does hold really well. It's a nifty idea but I'm not sure how often I'm going to use it. I think when I have some tinkering time it's time to play with that Universal Charge Die.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Maximumbob54 wrote:The Perfect Adapter came in and it does hold really well. It's a nifty idea but I'm not sure how often I'm going to use it. I think when I have some tinkering time it's time to play with that Universal Charge Die.
I'm not sure it will adapt to the Universal Charge die as even the funnels don't seem to work well but will wait and see if it does.
Joe

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”